Author Topic: my z28's history?  (Read 7601 times)

jon69

• View Profile
my z28's history?
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:09:05 AM »
My question is:
  is there some way of tracing the history and ownership of my 69 norwood x33 z28? I would love to know what dealership it came from, history of the car and what happened along the way to several of the parts from it that i would love to be able to buy back or at least track down. I know they raced it and that is why it only had 46,000 miles on it. I purchased the car from a person in boca raton florida but am unsure if there has been more than one owner. It was my dream to own a car like this and knowing some of the history would make it complete.
  thought maybe someone had been down this road before and would have some good ideas or advice.

Jon

detfox

• View Profile
Re: my z28's history?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:05:28 PM »
Since no one has responded let me give you my 2 cents (for what its worth). Practically everybody would love to know the history on their car, especially when there is no POP etc.  The best you can do is pay attention to the orphan section on this site and when some of these guys spot stuff they'll post it.  Believe me, you can bet that if there was some way to do research it would have been discovered by now. I hope this helped a little.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 12:53:08 PM »
Jon,
My 68 came out of Florida.  With a little persistence I did trace it all the way back to the original owner and dealership, along with pics, etc. of an earlier restoration.  A car's history is discovered more like a mystery than a science.

Read these posts:

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=5783.0

http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#MyCarHistory

Here's a long one: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1502.0

There are more.  Search for them using "history" or "original owner". 

It may take a while and you may run into some deadends.  Many states only keep about 10 year data bases. A traced history is not as good as a POP, but it will answer a lot of questions.  For example, I traced the first 27 years of my car's history with two letters and a phone call.  I've got a friend who has his POP, but he has been unable to find much of anything else....

BTW, do not give up because of state privacy laws.  Be polite and talk about restoration and research on a classic car....
The lady in the Florida title office gave me more than I asked for and even refunded part of my fee!

Good luck and happy hunting!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 01:13:37 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 07:02:35 PM »
BTW, do not give up because of state privacy laws.  Be polite and talk about restoration and research on a classic car....
The lady in the Florida title office gave me more than I asked for and even refunded part of my fee!

Very good advice. I was researching info on my 68 Camaro and had a some very nice conversations via email with one of the state DMV Title groups. It actually lead to the names of ownership for my 68 SWB truck. They traced it back to 1980 and also provided the previous owners name and address before that.

Be kind and explain the situation. They will help when possible. Typically won't give info over the phone but will mail it. You might have to start with one state at a a time until you get lucky, if you do. It is a lot of work but rewarding. They didn't even charge for it in this instance.

Back to the drawing bard on the Camaro though...
68 07D SS350
John

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 05:30:28 AM »
Man, I just got back my DMV searches...in CA...  What a joke!  I did it one other time a few years ago.  I used two different forms and verbage suggested by a couple forums.  I STILL got back "reports" that only had my name on them...  Yes, I have owned the car for 26 years.  But come on...  I might try just using the guy's name on a copy of the check I used to buy it and go from there... lol

rare396bronze

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 02:33:04 AM »
First i would see if your state dmv can do a title search. In tennessee you can &  i was lucky i got a copy of all the original owner's plus copy of the dealer invoice plus mso from gm. Now because off the privacy law the mark out all the prevous owner's names.It is a shame you can get all the information on a computer on a person but we can't help out people find about previous owner's. I talked to all the previous owner's & they were thrilled to now the car was still allive!  You might tell us a little about your z-28 because i had i had a freind that had a 69 rs/z-28 that was leman's blue with very low mile's which was used to race but not hurt.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 04:10:01 PM »
Yes, I have owned the car for 26 years.  But come on...  I might try just using the guy's name on a copy of the check I used to buy it and go from there... lol

Maybe CA only goes back 10 years.  Lots of states purge every 10 years or so now.  Actually, the name on the check idea is not bad, if you actually contact that person.  The second owner of my 68 sent me everything he had, including lots of pictures.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 06:22:24 PM »
I know that FL and MD have everything back to the MSO, original title work and selling dealership.  Some states like CA and OH only go back 10 years or so.  There is also the NICB but you will need someone to do that in law enforcement.

Jerry

william1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 04:37:44 PM »
mine is easy,,, i knew the person who purchased it new from the local chevy dealer, he was a customer of mine for years, he sold it to one of my friends in 72, and well,, we had more fun than young men should have in that car, then finally my friend fell on hard times in the current upheaval, and he always promised that he would never sell it to anyone else but me, so it holds many memory's for me, many which i can't share because i'm wiser,,, i hope,, and older, and thats my z28's history..

anything