Author Topic: RE: My Computer  (Read 16731 times)

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
RE: My Computer
« on: January 28, 2010, 12:52:14 PM »
For anyone here trying to contact me via e-mail.  Having a tough time right now.  My Juno e-mail system has crashed twice after we upgraded to 5.0 and installed a new larger hard drive for my data base.  I am hoping to be back up and running today.  I'm sorry for the inconvenieice. 

Seems that the newer versions of Juno are not working as well as the old 4.0 version.  At least for me.  Never had any issues in 11 years with that system.  Juno is telling me the fix is a newer version, 5.1.83 which is what we're doing now.

One of the best in the business, (John McBeth, a Camaro guy) is taking care of me with these issues and by the time we're done, I will owe him my new '67 Z28 race car!  OMG!

Thanks,

Jerry 

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: RE: My Computer
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 12:59:36 PM »
Jerry while your at the PC thing, if you havent already added an external hard drive for backup, look into it. they are dirt cheap today, and just plug into a USB port. I would hate to think of anything happening to that database.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 03:24:08 PM »
I do back up everything on CD and an extra drive.  What has crashed twice now is Juno.  We have to use my backed up Juno C drive from a week ago to reinstall and all of the intrem e-mail during that period until Monday night got lost.  And that's 100's.

Jerry

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 04:58:15 PM »
Actually, I was thinking Old Reliable. But, I guess I'll accept the '67 if that;s your best offer.

Just so others know what we are going through, how many people do you know that have 57,000 email messages?

Tom: Excellent advice on backups. External drives are very, very cheap and one thing is for sure: Once you lose some important data, you WILL become religious about backups. So, why wait?
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

tom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 06:15:05 PM »
My backup runs automaticly. Takes out the forgot to do it issue. All hardware will fail eventually.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
o

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 12:46:59 AM »
Just so others know what we are going through, how many people do you know that have 57,000 email messages?
I have about 90,000. 10,000 a year adds up.  And I backed up yesterday. :)
My problems is Outlook doesn't like the large files sometimes.....
Kurt S
CRG

69LM1

• View Profile
    • http://www.69lm1.com
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 01:03:32 AM »
Jerry, Kurt and others

check out idrive (http://www.idrive.com) 2gb online backup free (not much space for yout two), and about $50/yr for 150gb, which is abour 5$/mo.

Rich
Rich Pern
2012 Mustang Boss 302
69 COPO Camaro "Tin Soldier"
70 Z28 COPO
69 Camaro 307. Orig car from High School

tom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 01:36:15 AM »
I bought a 660 gig external drive on sale for 65 bucks. It is networked and serves as backup for 4 laptops and a desktop. CHEAP insurance.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
o

elcamino72

• View Profile
    • More Information on Camaro Fraud
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 02:22:52 AM »
Jerry, sorry to hear about your email situation ... I emailed you last week, this explains why you probably didnt' respond.

Call me when you get a chance!

Thanks!

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 04:01:03 AM »
I have an external drive that I back up everthing on.
And I also have Mozy (www.mozy.com, free 2GB) which backs up my often-used files a couple of times a day.
Easy insurance, IMO. ;)
Kurt S
CRG

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 01:09:42 PM »
Still working from lap top.  Have the computer home and will try and get my desk top up and running today.  John McBeth and his employees were a big help and are some of the best in the business.  For the computer guys relating to cars, it was like being at Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins' place getting your small block Chevy engine fixed.  That's the best wasy I can describe it. 

Daniel, where are you and what version of Juno are you using now?  John M. does not like Juno and keeps referring to my road trip terminology when I'm looking at bad cars, calling them POS......that's what he calls my Juno service........LOL

Jerry

Barefoot Dave

• View Profile
    • Barefoot Dave
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 01:41:19 PM »
You guys should all consider some sort of offsite backup with all the data and info you have that is probably irreplaceable.

All it takes is a burglar that wants the computer AND external drive or god forbid, a fire, and you've lost it all. I use Mozy myself (along with a batch file that automatically backs everything up to a folder on my web domain) but there are others that work well, are just as secure and are reasonably priced. Just a thought.
Dave Miller
Fairfax VA

69 SB Z-11
69 BB Z-10

www.barefootdave.com

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 02:16:39 PM »
We talked about Carbonite when I was at McBeth Motors getting my computer fixed.  $55 a year and I think I'm there.  I also have a back up drive and all of my data is in my lap top too.

Jerry

tom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 01:00:00 AM »
Hope it's all back and working by now. I would tend to agree with John regarding Juno. Was a great service in it's time. You are the only person I know still using it.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
o

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 05:07:42 AM »
Tom,

Daniel is our groups still uses it.  What makes it hard to change is I've been using it for 11 years.  And no problems, and I like it.  That was 4.0.  When we installed the larger hard drive and upgraded to 5.0 last week there were still issues, could not priint e-mail.  Had to be using Explorer 6.0, 7.0 would not allow me to see e-mails.  They're fix was upgrading to 5.1.83.  Did that and all was well until tonight.  Because there was still some corrupted files in my system from the first crash, it "restored" all of my 150 seperate files into one file.  The nightmare continues. 

Does anyone have any experience with Juno updates?  I need to seperate these files again.  When 4.0 was used, if crashed, you could import each Juno FRM file back into Juno and name the file back to your file folder.

Help,

Jerry 

anything