Author Topic: Paint "Swatches" for Available Colors  (Read 5700 times)

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
Paint "Swatches" for Available Colors
« on: January 22, 2010, 07:56:53 AM »
Hi,

I'd like to suggest a thread or possible CRG Research topic.  The suggestion is to post an actual color sample of the color codes. 

There are small ones in the brochures.  But I am getting some conflicting input from different sources as to what is the actual color of my car.  My real problem is that my cowl tag is missing.  It was missing when I bought the car in '83.  The color seems original.  It is very similar to '68 Teal Blue, "L".  I saw a couple cars being sold painted the same color as mine.  I asked what color it was and they said Sequoia Green, "V"...

Besides solving my problem, I think it would be pretty great to have this data on a site that is all about what the cars really were like from the factory.  Maybe someone from a paint shop could donate some samples they paint up from the database?  Oh, and I know that the colors will be different on everyones computer, for the most part.  But I believe one could still be able to tell if their color is correct, next to correct, or not so correct.

Anyway, just an idea...

Regards,
Chris

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Kurt S
CRG

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Paint "Swatches" for Available Colors
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 05:03:57 PM »
You can purchase old DuPont paint catalog pages from dealers that specialize in that sort of thing. I have a set for '69. They are not that expensive.

If we had a reference picture of a car in each color that might be a worthy addition to the CRG site. I know there are plenty of pictures out there.

-Mark.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 05:05:28 PM »
Anyone have a link to the site that had pics of Camaros in every color? Lotsa pics.
Kurt S
CRG

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  And yes, IMO it would be nice to have a collection of pictures of cars in all the available colors.  The more "correct" references the better!

I'm pretty sure I've seen that page online before after doing some searching on my own.  But it still didn't convince me I have a Sequoia Green car vs. a Teal Blue.  Looking at a 1/2" by 2" sample is not the same as seeing it on something bigger.  Even in the '68 brochure.  It may be obvious to some.  I had trouble...  I did see a car painted the same color as mine for sale and one on here today after a search.  Mine is definitely Sequoia Green.  The answer lied in seeing the color on an actual car...

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 06:10:30 PM »
You can have the original paint on your car scanned by the paint store and they will confirm the color.

Kurt
Kurt S
CRG

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 01:47:09 AM »
Posting colors over a computer screen can be deceptive, especially if you are trying to verify differences between shades. Shades do not always render the same from one PC to another.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 04:28:56 AM »
Agreed.  I mentioned that.  But I will say that seeing pictures of the cars painted a specific paint color/code was easily recognizable...

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 01:00:02 PM »
Here, knock yourself out. Bear in mind that these colors may or may not be 100% accurate. Formula tints used and/or variances within the code alter colors. http://www.69pace.com/paint.htm

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 12:14:37 AM »
Very cool!  I do see how the color varried...