Author Topic: convertable top coloring  (Read 3705 times)

jimbo67rag

• View Profile
convertable top coloring
« on: January 09, 2010, 07:39:57 PM »
Budget budget budget   This is a reality for most of us when it comes to building a hobby car. I am wondering if anyone has hadexperience with dying a vert top from white to black. I am painting my 67 to a cyber grey mettalic (2010 camaro color).  1500 bucks to have a black top installed.  How tough is it to install yourself? Dye or install ? Please advise. Thanks
Jimbo

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: convertable top coloring
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 03:01:02 PM »
Jimbo, I would not recommend dyeing the top.  I am pretty sure the finish on the top is waterproofed, so the dye may come out blotchy.  Also, the top going up and down might wear through the dye after a while.  I recommend replacing the top.  I have replaced a top, you need 2 people, plenty of time, warm weather, the Fisher body manual, a good stapler (air would be the best) and plenty of patience.  It took a buddy and I many weekends to get it done in a heated garage in the winter.  You have to have the top frame PERFECTLY adjusted to the windows before you start.  Once in place you cannot adjust the frame anymore or you put wrinkles in the top.  Other than that, putting s top on is only staples, screws and contact cement. the hardest part is to get it centered on the frame and work the wrinkles out (follow the manual!).  One of the trickest parts is the rear trim sticks, those 3 layers (well liner, rear plastic and top) on the corners was a bear to get right.  But if you staple the well liner first, then the rear plastic portion and get that tight (test fit the top latched) , then you staple the top.

also get the rear top well stainless polished first, make sure your top drip pan is solid.  You cannot get to those items once the top is installled.  Also make sure your trim stick screws and holes are in good shape.  You dont want the screws to no hold AFTER you have the top finished and are tighening the trims sticks for the last time. :)  Luck! 

runuts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 11:35:50 PM »
Jimbo, I don't know anything about the dye versus replacement since mine was in great shape. The frame was my problem, slight rust and worn paint  I decided to leave the top on and tape everything off to sand and repaint the frame in place. I taped some of the masking paper to the rear plastic window with blue tape, 2 or 3 pieces 2 inches long. Upon unveiling I noticed the tape had reacted with the plastic and left permanent imprints. They are hard to see but I know they are there. 

jimbo67rag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 11:56:55 PM »
Thanks Guys

No dye job for me.  I just purchased a new black top and am going to install it myself when the car comes back from the body shop.  If any one get a chance google The Iron Garage and have a look at the incredible work they do with the dynacorn bodies. For those that are not familiar dynacorn builds reproduction bodies of camaro and other muscle cars.  I know these cars are not the real deal and in my mind could never replace 60's muscle, they are truly works of art. They also have in their showroom a real numbers 69 copo camaro, a Reggie jackson numbers 60 impala ss 409 4 speed rag top a 70 chevelle ls7 4 speed rag top, a pair of matching vin 69 boss stangs one a 429 the other a 302, a numbers 70 charger hemi as well as a bunch of other very impressive, very high end restorations of 60's and 70's muscle.  This shop is amazing.  They are located in the Edmonton alberta Canada area and build high end cars for clients all over North America.  Anyway take a look and comment i you wish. Thanks again for
 the help on the dye job.