Author Topic: Rear end sits too high  (Read 3751 times)

sftibbs

• View Profile
Rear end sits too high
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:23:08 AM »
I just put the sub frame and rear end/leaf springs back on my '69 SS350 after restoration. The back end sits high: about 15" from the ground to the bottom of the rocker panel, and 31" from the ground to the cnter of the rear whell well. While nothing else has been reassembled, I can't see what will bring the back end down. The multi leaf springs are original and haven't been modified and the car sat at a normal level prior to disassembly. Any ideas?
'69 SS350

Charley

• View Profile
Re: Rear end sits too high
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 06:37:23 AM »
Did you lower the car to the ground before you tightened the rear leaf spring bolts ? If you did, loosen the bolts  and lean on the bumper a couple times and then tighten the bolts. some people tighten thos bolts while the car is up in the air and then the rubber bushings are holding the car up.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 03:47:14 PM »
Did you lower the car to the ground before you tightened the rear leaf spring bolts ? If you did, loosen the bolts  and lean on the bumper a couple times and then tighten the bolts. some people tighten thos bolts while the car is up in the air and then the rubber bushings are holding the car up.

Do that after you have it all assembled. You need all the weight of the car to be on the springs before you tighten the bolts. :)

-Mark.

sftibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 05:09:48 PM »
No, i didn't do that. Okay, after all is assembled I will do the above. Thanks for the help!
'69 SS350