Author Topic: The wrong way to replace fenders!  (Read 5256 times)

shift1313

• View Profile
The wrong way to replace fenders!
« on: April 09, 2006, 02:32:22 AM »
Hey guys. im getting farther and farther down on my camaro and there was a TON of bondo on this thing.  I took a pic to show you how both rear 1/4's were replaced.  the pic is from the front  but the seam in the back is equally as bad.  The fenders were just laid over the old ones and spot welded then bondo'd.

there was so much bondo covering this up that it was unreal.  I got it almost all the way down on the pass side and part way on the drives.  Im going to replace them with full 1/4s and take care of some of the C pillar(sail panel whatever its called) at the same time.

matt
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 04:47:40 PM by shift1313 »

dmchrist

• View Profile
Re: The wrong way to replace fenders!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »
I think that was the way they did things back then. I have the same exact thing on both 1/4's of my 68 convert.

Darren

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 01:37:21 AM »
Thats commonly the way they are "skinned".  Is still done today by some, but often using panel bond rather than welding.  Usually the entire old 1/4 isnt underneath, just a surrounding flange of the old one.

dave
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

shift1313

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »
yeah i figured it wasnt there but i just assumed a little more work with the fenders would have saved alot of bondo/sanding time.  All i know is i wont be doing them l ike this ;D

anything