Author Topic: Bleeding Brakes  (Read 6463 times)

67ragmaro

• View Profile
Bleeding Brakes
« on: April 13, 2006, 12:07:24 AM »
Hi all, Have a 67 with all new parts in the brake system, new lines, booster, wheel and master cyl, calipers, shoes, pads, proportioning valve, etc. Went to bleed it and just cannot seem to get all the air out .... brakes pump up and I get a nice flow from all 4 bleeders, but still have no petal. have bleed it 10 times, still no air coming out but no petal with out pumping. Have noticed that the bleeders in the calipers seem to be much lower than the top of the piston bore .... can air be trapped in that area and if so, how do I get it out? Thanks!! Bruce 

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Re: Bleeding Brakes
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 01:54:34 AM »
Did you bench bleed the master clyinder? 
Fireman John
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

PACE&Z2869

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 07:02:10 AM »
Hello 67ragmaro, go to maintenance section on this site. Find my post thats titled "Round proportioning valve? Front brake bleeding" I had a simular if not identicle problem w/ my restored 69 z/28. the round proportioning/ accumulator valve (one of two valves by booster) was sucking air in around the plunger on the backside of this valve. (under the rubber cap) every time the brake pedal was released introducing new air into the system. I'm assuming rour 67 has this valve. I explained everything in detail in that posting. Bottom line I installed a rebuild kit from Heartbeat City in the valve which includes 2 o-rings and a seal. Seal was the culprit. Please respond back at this posting and let me know if you were able to find my old posting and if this seems to be your problem as well. PACE&Z2869 
PACE&Z2869

67ragmaro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 08:51:46 PM »
Hi Gang, Yes I did bleed the master off car, and yes I found your posting but my problem is not air coming out the bleeders, I get just a nice flow of fluid. I keep bleeding & bleeding, no air. I wonder if it is somehow trapped in the calipers ???? Thanks for the input. Bruce   

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 09:58:50 PM »
Try taking the calipers off, and pointing the bleeders straight up.   Remove the master cylinder top, and gravity bleed the front brakes.   DO NOT push the pedal down with the calipers off.   I had to do this on serveral jobs.

Fireman John
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired