CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 10:44:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
102345 Posts in 12080 Topics by 4664 Members
Latest Member: jjonesls1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Restoration
| | |-+  The wrong way to replace fenders!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The wrong way to replace fenders!  (Read 1887 times)
shift1313

View Profile Email
« on: April 08, 2006, 09:32:22 PM »

Hey guys. im getting farther and farther down on my camaro and there was a TON of bondo on this thing.  I took a pic to show you how both rear 1/4's were replaced.  the pic is from the front  but the seam in the back is equally as bad.  The fenders were just laid over the old ones and spot welded then bondo'd.

there was so much bondo covering this up that it was unreal.  I got it almost all the way down on the pass side and part way on the drives.  Im going to replace them with full 1/4s and take care of some of the C pillar(sail panel whatever its called) at the same time.

matt
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 11:47:40 AM by shift1313 » Logged
dmchrist

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 11:49:00 AM »

I think that was the way they did things back then. I have the same exact thing on both 1/4's of my 68 convert.

Darren
RamAirDave

RamAirDave
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 08:37:21 PM »

Thats commonly the way they are "skinned".  Is still done today by some, but often using panel bond rather than welding.  Usually the entire old 1/4 isnt underneath, just a surrounding flange of the old one.

dave

"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com
shift1313

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 06:03:00 AM »

yeah i figured it wasnt there but i just assumed a little more work with the fenders would have saved alot of bondo/sanding time.  All i know is i wont be doing them l ike this Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: