Author Topic: Why is there some Z28's with 3908326 Rear Proportioning Valves and Some without  (Read 25659 times)

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Oct 68 10B  build Z/28; no valve.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

SEK Z28

• View Profile
03A 68 Z/28 does not have it.

Pex68

• View Profile
The bracket on the valve on my car did not have witness marks that a lock or toothed style washer was ever used.  This is not to say that a lock or tooth washer was NEVER used.  However, based on page 302 in the ’69 AIM covering the L48 pressure regulator valve, it calls for a #3958062 screw with no washer called out.  Using AMK Products catalog as a guide, I used the 8062 screw shown in my pic to attach the valve. 

There where often several suppliers for a common used hardware.  The 8062 screw is called out for 6 – 7 various applications in the ’69 AIM (brake and fuel line clips, etc., to mention a few) so we can expect some variation on the manufacturer’s bolt head markings.

Thanks Dave!

ALSO - If everyone could include the plant that would help out a lot as there are many known differences between NOR & LOS.

Happy & Healthy New Year Everyone!

Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

dannystarr

• View Profile
Pex68, you are correct. I forgot about that. Knowing the plant will help in determining possible install start and stop times of the valves etc. etc. Why can't Mr. J.M. at CHP and CRG get the info for all the cars documented so far? Just wondering why that can't place...........Danny

Camaro Billy

• View Profile
    • 1969 RS/SS
Good point-

1969 SS/L48    11D (1968) build date  Norwood Car.
Has the valve. 275-8 date code on valve. Oct. 1st 1968

Billy
1969 RS/SS 350/300 Rallye Green . Black Vinyl Top

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
02D Norwood '69 Z/28 - has valve, stamped "016 9".
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

RonM

• View Profile
'68 Norwood L30/M20 07D build with disc brakes, valve stamped 157-8. Hope this helps, RonM.

HOT3O2

• View Profile
12B LA built 69 Z/28 - Has Valve
Rick
69 RS/Z28

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
09C Norwood '69 Z/28 has the valve
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Just thinking, if some have the valve and some do not have it, could this be a more complicated thing than dates? Could there be specific combinations of drivetrain, and other options that determined if the valve was needed? Then again sometimes I think too much.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

DONCZ28

• View Profile
   69 NOR. BUILT Z28 O6A  HAS THE VALVE

agriwlw

• View Profile
  Here is mine;  68 Z/28   Norwood   06 A...no valve.     Bill                                                                                                                                                               

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
ALSO - If everyone could include the plant that would help out a lot as there are many known differences between NOR & LOS.

Happy & Healthy New Year Everyone!

[/quote]

Yup - very good point... Mine is a 02D '68 Norwood 'Zed' car WITHOUT the valve...    Randy

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Why can't Mr. J.M. at CHP and CRG get the info for all the cars documented so far? Just wondering why that can't place...........Danny
Just thinking, if some have the valve and some do not have it, could this be a more complicated thing than dates? Could there be specific combinations of drivetrain, and other options that determined if the valve was needed? Then again sometimes I think too much.
I'm keeping up with the data in this thread for the cars we already have in the database.
Have you guys read http://www.camaros.org/suspen.shtml#valve? I don't think I'm seeing any exceptions in the data that's been posted so far.

From the site:
Usage of the valve was not consistent.
•1967 Camaros that received the valve were: all models with C60 air conditioning, all SS396 models, and NOR-built Z28's (at least the later ones). However, the 1967 LOS Z28's did not get the valve.
•For 1968, only cars with 12-bolt axles received the valve. The C60 air conditioning option no longer caused use of the valve (though C60 cars could get the valve due to a 12-bolt axle). The one known exception is that NOR Z28's stopped using the valve midway through the 68 model and didn't begin again until mid-model year 1969.
•For 69, the valve was generally used on 12-bolt axle applications, except for JL8 equipped cars (which had disc brakes in the rear and didn't need the valve). As noted above, the 69 NOR Z28's did not use it until mid-year, in the late January / early February timeframe. Other exceptions in 69 include: some SS's and LM1's have been observed without the valve, and the valve has been observed on some drum brake 10-bolt axle cars.
•Note that usage of the valve on 67-69 Camaros was not apparently related to J52 disc brakes.

Oh, and JM is a part of CRG.
Kurt S
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
My Z is 68, has a 12 bolt and is not Norwood.
68Z28