Author Topic: rear spring replacement  (Read 6245 times)

ibfootin

• View Profile
rear spring replacement
« on: December 22, 2009, 10:28:28 PM »
I have a 69 Z28 and I am trying to replace the rear leaf springs.  The six bolts that hold the front brackets are spinning or stripped.  Is there a trick to removing the brackets when this happens. 

melav8r

• View Profile
Re: rear spring replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 02:31:28 AM »
Thats a tough one. You need to get inside the area where the nut is, basically each 3/8" bolt goes thru a j-nut. the original ones actually have a nut welded to the j-nut clip, the aftermarket repros are a one piece stamped j-nut with no separate nut.
You may have a couple where the nut has separated from the body of the j-nut clip, you may be able to keep those from turning with the tip of a flat head screwdriver thru the slot where the j-nut is installed.
For the stripped ones, sticking a wedge between the bracket and the floorboard may allow you to back each bolt out.
If all else fails you may be able to cut the bolt heads off with a cut-off wheel or grinding the bolt heads down, or even drilling the bolt heads off.
I'm pretty sure they're 3/8" diameter bolts.
Good luck.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 02:53:16 AM »
If you unbolt the spring from the front bracket you will have more room to work.  You may well find yourself needing to cut off the heads of the bolts so you can get the brackets off.  Then you can fish out what's left of the original j-nuts and replace with new.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

melav8r

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 02:06:45 PM »
If you unbolt the spring from the front bracket you will have more room to work.

you can't get the nut and bolt that goes thru the front spring eye out without dropping the bracket first.

ibfootin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 02:31:52 PM »
Thanks guys I will try the screwdriver or wedge first.  If that doesn't work I think the drill might be the cleanest procedure.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 09:05:57 PM »
Have someone that knows how to use a torch melt the heads off the bolts. Common problem.
Learning more and more about less and less...

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 10:57:09 PM »
Don't replace the clip nuts with anything but the "CIP" branded ones. AMK sell them.
OER packaged clip nuts are rubbish.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1288560&postcount=94
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

ibfootin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 09:42:32 PM »
I got them out. I drilled the two that I couldn't get the angle head grinder on.  I bought the bracket and hardware kits from Firewheel Classics.  Thanks for all the help.  Have a safe and happy New Year

melav8r

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 12:59:22 AM »
Glad to hear you got them all out, nice job!!

anything