Author Topic: clean up and polishing Windshield and rear glass molding  (Read 23575 times)

tmodel66

• View Profile
clean up and polishing Windshield and rear glass molding
« on: December 10, 2009, 04:09:59 AM »
I have good molding that is original to my '69SS.  I would like to keep it but as you probably know it is "white" dull. I have tried several polishes and wax and cream and I am just wasting my time and money. Can anyone tell me where to send it to get it polished out  like new?  I am about to do a  face lift and spruce it up a little and I just can't get it to shine like it's supposed too.

Thanks 

Daniel
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

OBIWAN2T

• View Profile
Re: clean up and polishing Windshield and rear glass molding
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 04:41:21 AM »
Daniel,

I just did this to my 67 camaro. Get a grinder and put a polishing wheel on it. Then get a couple of sticks of polishing compound, one cleaner & one final polish, and CAREFULLY go to work. The original stuff polishes out to a brilliant shine!

Todd

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 04:50:52 AM »
Thanks Todd  could you give me the name of the stuff you used?  Still better give me the part number off what you used along with the name then I can't go wrong.
Daniel  

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 12:38:47 PM »
Dan, take a look at this site and read the tech docs as well as the forums  http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/  Lots of info on polishing.  I did my stainless trim, easy, but time consuming.  It came out nice!

OBIWAN2T

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 08:22:23 PM »
Daniel,

I got it @ Lowes ( of all places ) I just got your reply & I'll go out to my shop tonight and see the exact name of the 2 polishes I used. If that will be helpful I'll be glad to do it.

Todd

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 04:17:58 PM »
The original stainless steel reveal moldings were flash-chromed after polishing, to protect them from oxidation/dulling; to polish them, you first have to get through the clear chrome layer, and when you're done, they should be flash-chromed again, or they'll dull over time.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 10:02:21 PM »
Thanks for the insight John.      Bet you don't know where a chap could get the flash chrome done?   I don't know about replacement moulding.   Do they fit ?
Daniel  

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 03:15:15 PM »
Thanks for the insight John.      Bet you don't know where a chap could get the flash chrome done?   I don't know about replacement moulding.   Do they fit ?

You'll have to check with platers in your area to see who can do flash-chrome. I haven't heard anything good about the fit of reproductiion reveal moldings - perhaps someone else can comment who has experience with them.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 05:18:33 PM »
I tried the repo moldings about 2 years ago. They were thiner than original and the fit was bad. So unless they have been improved since then, I would'nt recommend them. I repolished the originals. I didn't know about the chrome flash but I think  it will take quite a while for polished stainless steel to oxidize. Especially if you keep after them with metal polish once and a while.
Good Luck
Sam

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 04:42:52 PM »
I didn't know about the chrome flash but I think  it will take quite a while for polished stainless steel to oxidize.

It only becomes obvious where you have two pieces next to each other and one is flash-chromed after polishing and the other one isn't - the one that's chromed will maintain kind of an icy-blue appearance in natural light, and the one that's not will eventually take on a slight yellowish cast. If all the adjoining pieces aren't chromed, you probably wouldn't notice it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 07:22:30 PM »
I didn't know about the chrome flash but I think  it will take quite a while for polished stainless steel to oxidize.

It only becomes obvious where you have two pieces next to each other and one is flash-chromed after polishing and the other one isn't - the one that's chromed will maintain kind of an icy-blue appearance in natural light, and the one that's not will eventually take on a slight yellowish cast. If all the adjoining pieces aren't chromed, you probably wouldn't notice it.

Yup. And you'll find out if you are polishing them and you go through the f. chrome when sanding out imperfections. There is a distinct difference in color.

OBIWAN2T

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 11:30:04 PM »
Daniel,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  What I used was #3 soft metal cleaning compound first and then switched to the #5 high gloss polishing compound. Both came from my local Lowes.

Todd

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 11:48:58 PM »
Flash chrome?  I've been filing ,sanding and polishing SS trim for ages and never seen any evidence of a layer of chrome.  Are you sure about this?
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 01:09:22 AM »
I've sanded some nasty imperfections out and not all showed a color distinction. The ones that did were were indeed a yellowish hue underneath in contrast to the rich bluish overtone they have. Some I hammered out and sanded, beginning with 220 up to 2500, cutting them deeply and did not see a variation.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 06:01:51 PM »
Flash chrome?  I've been filing ,sanding and polishing SS trim for ages and never seen any evidence of a layer of chrome.  Are you sure about this?

Yes. Virtually all GM exterior stainless trim was flash-chromed after polisihing. "Chrome" is clear, and is less than a thousandth of an inch thick. Chrome on bumpers is different - it has nickel underneath it - that's what gives it the silvery look. "Show chrome" (which GM never used) has copper underneath the nickel.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything