Author Topic: Who do you deal with? 1st.Gen glass replacement  (Read 8777 times)

adjudimo

• View Profile
Who do you deal with? 1st.Gen glass replacement
« on: March 16, 2010, 06:21:45 AM »
I have been searching for new correct date coded door glass for my "67 SS/RS Camaro. I have read stories of poor fit and clarity in some brands, but since I haven't experienced this yet, I was hoping other owners would guide me in the right direction. The car is a 03A build date ( March, first week ) and I think that I need glass coded roughly a month or two prior to this. The glass code I have now in the car  is VA and NZ which I believe is Dec. 1966 and Jan. 1967. Anyway, your thoughts, suggestions, advice? Thanks a-LOT!

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
Re: Who do you deal with? 1st.Gen glass replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:06:14 AM »
I see door glass and rear glass listed all the time in various places.  Though, they don't necessarily post the date codes...  I would guess that if you could "wait it out", you may be able to locate some that fit your need.  Me, I'm looking for a windshield!  Talk about needle in a hay stack!

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 02:05:44 AM »
I have e-mailed several glass companies and ask questions about date coding when they advertise it and for quotes but never receive a reply. It's as though it doesn't really matter whether they get business or not. I do ask them the thickness of their glass since it came with 1/4 inch thick windshield and 3/16 inch everywhere else, but I guess my monies no good. Go figure!

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:11:03 AM »
The door glass is the worst. Previous owner never fixed/replaced the padding on the glide and it is scratched the glass over time. I'm talking 1 to 1 i/2 inch wide from bottom to top and quite deep. It will stop your fingernail dead in it's track. The other glass I can live with for now, but these scratches look like crap....!

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 06:03:54 AM »
that stinks about the scratches!  unfortunately, i only have myself to blame for my cracked windshield.  still pretty bitter about it after about 15 years...  i did my usual craiglist check and saw at least 3 people selling door glass.  so, there is hope for you.  swap meets are great, too.  i also have a couple "dismantlers" around me.  but they are pretty picked through.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 03:25:43 PM »
I would recommend OEM Glass Inc., www.oemglass.net.  I discovered OEM Glass at a booth while attending a Corvette Bloomington Gold event.  They can correctly date code new glass for you which will include the correct logo format, etc.  They are also very knowledgeable about the glass, date coding, etc.  Photo document your original glass and send them pictures for reference.

When I restored my '69Z, my front windshield had been replaced by a previous owner thus was not original and missing the date code.  The side glass was scratched and not up to the standard I set for my restoration project.  The entire new set of glass for my car was expensive investment (about $1700 back in about 1999) but worth the investment.

The OEM glass looks perfect next to my original pieces of glass.

Good luck with your project.

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 12:45:18 PM »
I have went out to look at some window glass that was for sale. So far, some a little better than mine, but not all that much. The best I found so far had a few small scratches but then had a chip along the edge that showed up pretty bad.

I just checked the post and I will check out OEM glass out. Thanks! I will take the pictures of my glass also. Your are right, it seems as though just about everything is costly when it come to these "ole" cars. It would seem that it would be a bit cheaper with all the different vendors out there competing and selling all this stuff. I realize that some items are hard to come by, if not near impossible, and they warrant a premium price. I seriously believe that more owners/hobbiest would buy more products if the price's were lower. I am talking about the average guy/gal with a shell or mid level daily driver. Don't get me wrong, I believe in doing things right, but we all have what is right for us. I want correct replacement glass. There is a crap load of this type owners  and money out there that the vendors are missing out on.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 03:56:41 PM »
Prices are high on good quality reproduction parts and services.  Vendors know they can charge a premium if they are the best the business.  I found this to be situation with OEM Glass, Ssnyke Oyl Product seat belts, Gardner Exhaust, etc.

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 08:58:18 PM »
I recommend PS Auto Glass. Great people, great product. They can be found at http://www.psautoglass.com/. Jerry M. recommended them to me and i was very happy with the result. My 69 Z was in Legends at Nationals and the glass passed with flying colors.
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 02:35:38 AM »
Thanks for the lead. I will check PS Glass out and hopefully get my glass ordered. I just ordered sound deadening today and want to get the windows put in while I have everything removed. It really makes things easier when fellow owners jump in and share their thoughts and opinions. This is by far, the best Camaro group on the internet!

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 02:50:12 AM »
Just checked out PS Glass, They didn't have 1967 door glass advertised. I will e-mail them tonight and inquire. But then again, since it is the weekend, I might just have to give them a call Monday.

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 02:17:56 AM »
Did  you reach them?
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 07:52:03 AM »
Yes,I finally got hold of them. I decided to purchase door glass through Rick's (Eckler's) and they were made by Pilkington, in Ohio, the company who made the glass originally. They offered date coding. Received them today and the LOF date coding was perfect and matched the other glass in car. Very satisfied with the glass. Now just have to take old out and install. $428 including shipping/insurance.

anything