Author Topic: Period correct engine value?  (Read 26960 times)

RS3SDL2MG

• Brad
    • View Profile
Re: Period correct engine value?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 12:19:12 AM »
vintage photo's are GREAT DOCUMENTATION ! they can prove an RS or SS pretty easy ,
say could you post some of those vintage pic's ? love e'm !
1967 RS 327 (210) horse C-C ermine white 732 bright blue interior RARE 4P - DELETE

blownonfuel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 01:40:04 AM »
I'll have to dig them up. I'm sure the pictures would make many here cringe. I bought the car, well actually my parents bought me the car when I was a freshman in H.S. (early 80's) and the guy that owned before me in the 70's was into the fender flair/CanAm look. The car had some ugly flairs and the top of the rear quarter panels were flaired into the rear spoiler. It probably had a few pounds of bondo and paint thinner cans making up the flairs. I'll dig them up, where can I post them?

Thanks

RS3SDL2MG

• Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 02:01:31 AM »
best way to post pics is load them to photobucket then post them here , I bet that car had some a dem cool luminum slots too ! jack e'm up in the back paint the inner fender well's orange , shackle's in the back I bet !
I guess the movie corvette summer caused some of that !
1967 RS 327 (210) horse C-C ermine white 732 bright blue interior RARE 4P - DELETE

blownonfuel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 03:04:19 AM »
I just scanned a few of them and uploaded them to Picasa Web Album. You will see some pics of the front end of my car smashed up, this was due to a guy with a horse trailer running a red light, it was too late for me to stop. You will also see some pics of the "new" front end and my racing days. Those days are over, time to put it back as it was and enjoy it. The car is in primer now so it does not look as rough as it did once. Please remember those pics are from 20 plus years ago and I was in H.S. working part time as a dishwasher so the car was rough not nice like what you see on here. I am glad I held on to it all these years and never chopped it up when I raced it. I still have all the deluxe interior,PS,PB,A/C,12 bolt rear,etc. The car was originally light green with black vinyl top. I plan to put it back that way.

http://picasaweb.google.com/blownonfuel/68Camaro#

blownonfuel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 04:17:56 AM »
I uploaded a few more. The car with the Huggar Orange front end is what the car looks like at this point. This was taken back in the early 90s and before I was married and had kids. Back to original and cruising, I hope.

http://picasaweb.google.com/blownonfuel/68Camaro#

RS3SDL2MG

• Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 09:11:14 PM »
cool , I like the 55 2dr hrdtp REAL GOOD !

NED

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 11:05:20 PM »
       I'm with Jerry on this one. If the "born with " block is gone, IT'S GONE. The most correct thing you could do is to find a correct casting and dated block as a replacement. Even if you found a MU block it would be difficult to have it also date correct. Possible, but very hard. It would still have an incorrect vin on it. The only thing better would be to deck it and restamp with your vin and production date and MU. I know many people out there have a problem with that and I appreciate that aspect also, but that would make the most correct restoration,( as it came from the factory) which is what we all strive for, right? It's a shame that the honesty factor sometimes looses out to the almighty buck. When these car's weren't worth so much it wasn't much of an issue, but that's the times we live in. By the way on the MO block issue, really the blocks are the same, came from the same foundry, are machined the same, only that stamp is different. I'm pretty sure I am correct on that and please correct me if I spoke in error.  Well i'll get off my soapbox now and everyone have a happy holiday!
                                                                                                          Clem
Bill
67Z Bench seat
69JL8 Burnish Brown
67 camaro modified ls1,6 speed, 9 "rear

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »
By the way on the MO block issue, really the blocks are the same, came from the same foundry, are machined the same, only that stamp is different. I'm pretty sure I am correct on that and please correct me if I spoke in error.  Well i'll get off my soapbox now and everyone have a happy holiday!
                                                                                                          Clem[/size]

All MO (Z/28) blocks were cast at the Saginaw Foundry and machined/assembled at Flint V-8; MU (L-48) blocks were cast and assembled at both Flint and Tonawanda.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

jonboy1216

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 02:47:33 AM »
still which small block is the most valuable the 302 or the corvettes lt1? i dont have the original block with my 68 rsss but i want to make the car as valuable as i can thats why i have the mo to go in it.am i thinking wrong on the resale value?

blownonfuel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 03:38:13 AM »
Jonboy I say the 302 is worth more. Especially a 67 or 68 302. That's my opinion.

NED

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 04:06:49 AM »
John,

Bill
67Z Bench seat
69JL8 Burnish Brown

NED

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 04:16:07 AM »
John'
      Thanks for the correction on my statement about the blocks. Learn something every day. Just for my information though, are the castings and machining for the MO blocks any different than the MU blocks. Were the MO blocks from the Saginaw foundry for any particular reason such as better quality or different material content? They all have the same casting numbers, correct? Thanks for any info you can share.
     Oh, sorry about the last post, fat fingered the keyboard.   Clem
Bill
67Z Bench seat
69JL8 Burnish Brown

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 03:19:59 PM »
John'
      Thanks for the correction on my statement about the blocks. Learn something every day. Just for my information though, are the castings and machining for the MO blocks any different than the MU blocks. Were the MO blocks from the Saginaw foundry for any particular reason such as better quality or different material content? They all have the same casting numbers, correct? Thanks for any info you can share.
     Oh, sorry about the last post, fat fingered the keyboard.   Clem

There's no difference between an MO and an MU block, and neither was handled any differently at the foundry or at the engine plant. The foundry had no clue what the block was going to end up as, and neither did the machining department at the engine plant; the block had no identity until it reached the engine assembly line, where the assigned suffix determined what kind of innards it was to receive (crank, rods, pistons, cam, lifters, heads, intake, water pump, etc. and the pad was stamped with the assembly date and suffix after the heads went on.

In '69, the ultimate identity as a "DZ" block was determined in the machining department, as the block was drilled for 4-bolt main caps.

All solid-lifter small-blocks for Corvettes and Camaros were built at Flint V-8; Tonawanda only built hydraulic-lifter small-blocks. There was no difference in the casting material at the two different foundries - all castings for Flint V-8 came from the Saginaw Foundry (45 minutes away by the captive internal truck fleet that ran 24/7), and Tonawanda's foundry was on the same site as the engine plant.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

sftibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 06:25:35 PM »
Jerry,

For judging/value and authenticity, if one has a dated correct original engine, what is the acceptable window for the date? Can it be after the build of the car? 

Thanks, Steve
'69 SS350

RAfbody

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 03:30:08 AM »

In '69, the ultimate identity as a "DZ" block was determined in the machining department, as the block was drilled for 4-bolt main caps.
John'

There were also 350 4 bolt engines in 69 so what was the difference between the 302 4 bolt main and the 350 4 bolt main?
Russ

anything