Author Topic: Follow up to topic of floor plan plug on '69's  (Read 8213 times)

Dave69x33

• View Profile
Follow up to topic of floor plan plug on '69's
« on: November 28, 2009, 04:39:10 AM »
Back in July 2009, there was a topic and discussion about the floor pan plugs.  The general consensus was that the plugs were installed with the indentation facing upward.  The original topic also indicated that original plug typically have embossed numbers or date code stamped into them, as clearly shown in the picture that JohnZ’s and CurtS’s posted.

This prompted me to pull my original plugs out of storage and clean one of them to look for date codes, etc.  I also reviewed the pictures of my floorboard taken during the restoration to check the orientation of the plugs. 

As you will see on my attached pictures, not all of my original plugs were installed with the indentation facing upward, and my plugs do not have any stamped codes in them.  I am certain that my plugs are original to my Camaro based on the condition of my floorboards which included the original carpet, and the underlying sound deadening pads.  This brings up a related question – have other owners of ‘69’s with deluxe interiors found these underlying pads, etc. in their floorboards?

The front two plugs were installed with the indentation facing upward; the two plugs in the back seat area and the two in the trunk were installed with the indentation facing downward (notice the side of the plug where the original off-white sealant is located).  I cleaned one of the original plugs to clearly see the original galvanized finish and to look for stamped codes.  No codes were found any of the six plugs in my car.

Is it possible that not all ’69 Camaros have plugs with code, and with them all installed with indentation facing upward as suggested?  As we have learned, there has been many variations discovered on our Camaros coming out of the assembly plants back then.

My deluxe interior is a Norwood ’69 Camaro built the 1st week of May.  Does anyone else have pictures they can post of their original floor plan plugs?  Please state the build date and plant of their Camaro.

Thanks!   

Dave69x33

• View Profile
Re: Follow up to topic of floor plan plug on '69's
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 04:47:03 AM »
Here is a picture my original plug cleaned with no codes stamped into it; the other picture showing a plug with the original off-white sealer on the “indentation down” side of the plug.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 04:50:14 AM »
Finally, here are a couple pictures of my floorboard taken during the restoration, showing the underlying pad.

Thanks again in advance for your pictures of your plugs.

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 05:17:53 PM »
My  04C 69Z has the codes and are installed with the dome up.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 02:26:09 AM »
Thanks L78 Steve.

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 02:24:40 AM »
I removed the plugs from both of my '69s. A couple of them had date stamps. All of them were indentation up. Can anyone point me to the correct sealer product for re-installation?
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 02:16:15 AM »
My 03D 69 Z has the dome up and the date codes.
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 02:15:27 AM »
jmcbeth,

Did you get any responce or advise for a source for the correct white/off-white sealer for the floor pan plugs?

For those of you that had date codes in your plugs, what was the date code format?  Can you post a picture?

Is there a good source for pan plugs that will correctly date code them for you?

Thanks

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 04:37:50 AM »
I removed the plugs from both of my '69s. A couple of them had date stamps. All of them were indentation up. Can anyone point me to the correct sealer product for re-installation?

I just did the underbody make over on my pace car and I used:
3M
Fast'n Firm
Seam Sealer
Beige
12.8fl-oz
(Tube- like caulk gun style)

Sets up hard and is more white-beige Perfect product.

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »
169Indy,

Thanks for the input on the product.  Did you clean up your existing plugs and reuse them?

And if so, what were there stamped codes on your plugs vs. the build date on your car?

Thanks again!

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 03:20:59 AM »
Dave, I kind of cheated when I fluffed the underside. The dealer undercoating was SO thick I chipped-scraped it off the plugs the plating was preserved and the orig sealer held the plug perfectly that I just touched up the orig sealer with a bead of fast-n-firm. I could see some evidense of stamping but very hard to decern the text. Due to the fact I did the underbody fluff as the last item to refurb I did not  remove them for better documentation-examination and can not offer much details. I will say the  (LOS) underbody was black with lots of factory white (50-A) overspray on the underbelly pan, frame rails & trunk pan.

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 05:33:03 PM »
When I restored my car 10 years ago, I made the mistake of having my body shop install and paint the pan plugs when the bottom side of the car was painted.

I just finished replacing my pan plugs.  I purchased a set (6), item #BDY-1322 from Heartbeat City, $3.25 ea., $19.50 total with shipping.  They are a nice plug and closely match my original plugs (see picture).  Note: none of my original pan plugs had date codes in them (Norwood 05A car).

I used the recommended 3M Fast N Firm Seam Sealer, Beige, item #08505, $22.09 from my local NAPA Store.  It comes in a standard caulking gun style tube and is the correct off-white color. 

I am pleased with the results and attached a few pictures for reference.

anything