Poll

How to mount a tachometer in a 69?

Tachometer
0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Original tachometer  (Read 10256 times)

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
Original tachometer
« on: November 25, 2009, 08:49:06 AM »
Yesterday I pulled my old and broken fule gauge out and I´m gonna replace it with a new original tachometer instead.
But I have to enlarge the mounting hole a lot when the tacho needs moore space then the fuel guage!

..but to my quest, how do I secure it on the backside?? I can´t find anything in the Assembly Manual regarding this mounting??  ???
There are three screws in the back that I assume you´re suppposted to use but do you need some moore parts or what?
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

mark x22

• View Profile
Re: Original tachometer
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 02:53:12 PM »
its held on buy three nuts . 

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 08:08:58 AM »
Thanx Mark!!  :D
I actually found theese drawings yesterday at the Team Camaro site, great templates!!
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 09:45:46 AM »
Mark, what did you use to make such nice cutiing edges?? I´m impressed!!
I just but a tool like a Dremel to use for this operation when I´m making this while all the parts are still mounted in the car!?
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 02:34:11 PM »
I added the whole guage package to my car. The dash carrier was removed so it was a little bit easier. The cut outs were done with a flat blade tip on a soldering gun. It goes nice and slow kind of like a warm knife through cold butter. Stinky, yes but it gets the job done.  Once installed it looks like a factory job.

Just a pet peeve of mine - I would be sure to add some type of center dash guage at the same time you add the tach. There were (2) ways to order a tach. It came along with a center dash fuel guage OR you ordered it with the center dash clock along with the whole console guage package. If you don't put something else in there it just looks strange.

I know, I know - It's not my car so you can do what ever you want. :)

Hope this helps,

-Mark.

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 03:08:43 PM »
I added the whole guage package to my car. The dash carrier was removed so it was a little bit easier. The cut outs were done with a flat blade tip on a soldering gun. It goes nice and slow kind of like a warm knife through cold butter. Stinky, yes but it gets the job done.  Once installed it looks like a factory job.

Just a pet peeve of mine - I would be sure to add some type of center dash guage at the same time you add the tach. There were (2) ways to order a tach. It came along with a center dash fuel guage OR you ordered it with the center dash clock along with the whole console guage package. If you don't put something else in there it just looks strange.

I know, I know - It's not my car so you can do what ever you want. :)

Hope this helps,

-Mark.

Thanx for your answer Mark! Are oyu the same guy as MarkX22  above or...? :)
Maybee I will try your method, it sounds interesting to!! The important thing here is to make sure that the tach are fixed in its position I guess!

I appreciate your kindness mark and .......of cause I´m puttin somthing in the middle!!:) :)

I bought the fuel gauge at the same time as the tach! :D My console already had a cutout for a center gauge. It had a lid for steering wheel shift! The P R N D window were covered with a black piece of tape!

I´ll mount the fuel gauge and tacho at the same time!
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 03:15:19 PM »
those are two different instrument panels . one original gauge the cutout for the tach is molded in, the clock looks punched . it looks to me they use the same mold but with a removable plug to do tach or fuel gage . that's why you can see an outline of the tach on fuel gage cars its just the plug .  if you do it in the car one of those templates is for that just get the right one , and look out for wires behind it ,and you wont need the brace if done in car .

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 12:19:11 PM »
I did some work on saturday and here is the result!
First after using the template I drilled the contur with a small drill and then I used like a Dremel tool with a smal sand paper tool and smothened it up!

And this is a mock up for the new gauges! I think this is gonna be great when the wiring is completed! I´m also gonna move the Pionees stereo to the glove box and mount a radio delete Deluxe plate instead!

Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 03:30:41 PM »
It's going to look great when it's done! :)

-Mark.

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 04:26:18 PM »
It's going to look great when it's done! :)

-Mark.
Thanx! I´ll get more pics when the job is completed!
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 06:37:19 AM »
The pattern is outlined on the back of the carrier, isn't it?
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

dkpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 03:18:27 PM »
Hgger69, how do you plan to wire the tach?

Do you have a HEI? The Classic Industries catalog states you can not use their tach with HEI system.

I was planning on adding the tach also, I have a HEI, and do not know how to wire it.  There is a hookup for a tach from the HEI, but not sure if it will work.

dk

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 12:15:53 PM »
Hgger69, how do you plan to wire the tach?

Do you have a HEI? The Classic Industries catalog states you can not use their tach with HEI system.

I was planning on adding the tach also, I have a HEI, and do not know how to wire it.  There is a hookup for a tach from the HEI, but not sure if it will work.

dk

Hi!
I have a 45 kV supercoil from ACCEL and I don´t think it´s HEI!? How do you know that?? ???
I had a 5" Autometer tach before and I just moved the wiring from that to this new tach and it seems to work but I haven´t run the engine yet, just toggled it with the starter!  ::)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

BILL69

• 69 Conv. auto/ ac/ ps/ pb/ pt LA built
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 03:24:25 PM »
I have had several problems over the years trying to use the repop tachs with MSD distributors.  MSD does have a tach adapter module that they sell to cure this problem but it did not work for me.  After speaking with the MSD tech he sent me a capacitor that went inline with the tach signal wire from the coil this solved the problem.    If you are using an HEI distributor the MSD tach adapter module could work,  I don't know for sure.
Be American   Buy American

anything