Author Topic: ZL1 #26  (Read 12434 times)

Camaro Billy

• View Profile
    • 1969 RS/SS
ZL1 #26
« on: November 20, 2009, 08:45:38 PM »
Some friends of mine bought the #26 ZL1 continuation engine from GM and have a nice 1969 base car they are going to make a tribute of ZL1 car #26 out of. I would not call it a clone as they are going to keep the engine in the new trim. They would like to make the car as close to original as they can.
Here are a few things, being one of the 50 cars ordered by Gibb that I believe to be correct about ZL1 #26 –

Hugger Orange w/ black standard interior, no console.
M21 tranny
14” XT wheels w/ dog dish caps with F70 x 14 Raised White Letter tires.
(Would the Goodyear wide tread repo’s be correct ?)
No style trim, but chrome rocker trim.
120 mph speedo.
Chevy bowtie emblem front and back w/ only Camaro script on the front fenders.
J52 power front disc brakes.
Argent Silver grill w/ no chrome trim around the headlights.
No radio ordered.

Some things I’m not too sure about –
Would it be a heater delete car?
Would it have a clock?
What exhaust from the factory. Too late for chambered, correct?
Would the rocker panels be blacked out under the trim molding?
Would it be an X44 car?
How about floor mats, I don’t believe Gibb ordered them.
Any other details I am not thinking about?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Billy

1969 RS/SS 350/300 Rallye Green . Black Vinyl Top

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: ZL1 #26
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 12:00:17 AM »
Many years ago I was involved with a Gibb ZL-1 when I worked for a Camaro business. The owner of the business met with Fred Gibb.

Would it be a heater delete car?
-No.
Would it have a clock?
-No.
What exhaust from the factory. Too late for chambered, correct?
-Standard dual exhaust with resonators.
Would the rocker panels be blacked out under the trim molding?
-No.
Would it be an X44 car?
-Yes.
How about floor mats, I don’t believe Gibb ordered them.
-Correct; no mats.

Any other details I am not thinking about?
-ZL-1 invoices show "F70 x 14 white lettered tires" the only repro available is the Goodyear WTGT. I'm sure some had Firestones or Uniroyals.

No spoilers.

Best of luck with your project!
Learning more and more about less and less...

Camaro Billy

• View Profile
    • 1969 RS/SS
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 03:41:14 AM »
Thanks William this will be alot of help.
Being an X44 car did they change out the heater core from a small block to the big block style ?
Thanks Billy

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 03:12:19 PM »
This is from the COPO research article on this site.

The remainder of the car was built using standard assembly procedures and components as employed on a Camaro SS with the L78 engine, with some other exceptions. A document titled "Exception control letter sheet" was used to outline parts that were to be deleted and / or substituted from the SS L78 package. One example is the starter: an L78 used an 11" clutch, the ZL-1 used the 10.34", and so starter 1108418 was replaced with 1108351 on the 4-speed and 1108400 on the automatics. This system also explains why COPO's built as rally sports do not have the rally sport fender emblems. The "Camaro SS" badging was initially specified and the document "deducted" the SS, leaving only the "Camaro" emblem on the fender. There was no external indication of the engine. Assembly line workers wrote "427" in crayon on the inside of the fender extensions so the fenders would not be pierced for emblems as all other 8 cylinder Camaros were. All ZL-1 cars were equipped with AIR pumps and Gibbs' cars were produced with standard N10 dual exhaust.

Camaro Billy

• View Profile
    • 1969 RS/SS
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 01:50:45 PM »
Thanks again William, that gives us the rest of the info we need.
Billy

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 12:33:29 AM »
Hi Billy, Great project you have going on. I'm not an expert on ZL-1's but back the 80's I was corresponding with Ed Cunneen and he was nice enough to send me one of his ZL-1 hand books he put together. The reason I'm bringing this up is you stated the #26 engine was a Gibbs ordered car?  In the hand book I have there's a page titled "Dealerships On Record At Chevrolet As Having Been Invoiced For ZL-1 Camaros. It has #26 (609880) as going to Nankivell Chevrolet in Indianapolis, Indiana. As I stated before I'm no expert but have always been fascinated by the ZL-1 but could never come close to affording one. Maybe William could shed a little light on this for us.   Rick
Rick
69 RS/Z28

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 12:44:40 AM »
# 26 was probably one of the cars that Gibb returned to Chevrolet. They then got sent out to other dealers.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 02:05:32 AM »
Most of Gibbs' ZL-1 Camaros were DX'd or returned to the Norwood Camaro plant. Chevy doubled the option price after the order was placed killing the market and Fred's credit line.

As Charley knows, the owner of ZL-1 #26 has the original engine from the #3 ZL-1. When Billy P owned #3 he located the engine from #26, rebuilt it for a magazine feature. I saw it; VIN stamp and all. For whatever reason the two sides never could agree on a deal and to this day the engines remain in the wrong cars.

Corvette6769

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 09:46:18 AM »
As Charley knows, the owner of ZL-1 #26 has the original engine from the #3 ZL-1. When Billy P owned #3 he located the engine from #26, rebuilt it for a magazine feature. I saw it; VIN stamp and all. For whatever reason the two sides never could agree on a deal and to this day the engines remain in the wrong cars.
When did Bill Porterfield rebuild the engine from #26, where did you see it, and what magazine issue was it featured in?
www.SS427.com (my personal homepage)

www.SS427.com/#business (My Other Web Sites)

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 01:24:26 PM »
I saw the block at Super Chevy Indy '92 or so. It was featured in Chevy High Performance around 1995; I have the issue. We [CPX] contributed some parts. I can dig it out later at home.

Corvette6769

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 02:31:35 PM »
I saw the block at Super Chevy Indy '92 or so. It was featured in Chevy High Performance around 1995; I have the issue. We [CPX] contributed some parts. I can dig it out later at home.

Thank you for your reply.  I sure would appreciate that if you would.  When you do so, please scan and post a copy of that article here or email it to me.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 12:04:55 AM »
Send to your em address.

Corvette6769

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 01:35:36 AM »
Send to your em address.
Received image 1 of 3 about an hour ago, and will watch for the other two to arrive.   Thank you ever so much!

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 02:01:23 AM »
Came back-your mb is full.

Corvette6769

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 10:15:04 AM »
I own my own web hosting service www.SSMX.com and my server logs only show the one received (and none rejected). Please send them again (one at a time).  Perhaps they exceeded your ISPs limit.  If they fail again, please email the error message to me to diagnose.  Thank you.

anything