Author Topic: DZ motor ID #'s  (Read 10786 times)

davesz/28

• View Profile
DZ motor ID #'s
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:56:58 PM »
I took a DZ motor to a machine shop for a rebuild.  Before dropping it off, I wrote down all of the numbers.  Checked on it today and found it had been "decked" and the #'s and "DZ" markings are gone.  Anyone have suggestions on restamping?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: DZ motor ID #'s
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 04:23:43 PM »
You should have put a statement on the shop's work order that the block was not to be decked, and had them sign it; now it's just another 350 block.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

davesz/28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 06:35:03 PM »
Thanks, that makes me feel better..I was looking for an answer, not a bassing!  Hope you brighten everyone elses day the same way.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 07:49:07 PM »
Too late, if you restamp it the engine is immediatly questioned as to its originality.  You won't get the fonts and spacing correct.  Hope you have pictures of it prior to the decking.  The machine shop just cost you about 5K in the cars overall value.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 08:22:59 PM »
Most people relate restamped blocks with fraud. There was a thread on here a while back where somebody had limited luck at revealing the stampings after they had been decked. It may or may not help you.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 10:34:23 PM »
Thanks, that makes me feel better..I was looking for an answer, not a bassing!  Hope you brighten everyone elses day the same way.

John has brightened many of my days since joining this forum.  You screwed up and he gave you an honest answer.  You should have thought about the machine work before the block was dropped off, don't blame John for his input.  One more thing when you restamp it let us know so a record will be on file. 
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 02:07:05 AM »
WELL SAID CAPTAIN JOHN

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 03:00:31 AM »
I was going to tell him he had a $50.00 block.  But it is the truth.
68Z28

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 05:26:21 PM »
He should have come to this site prior to sending out the block.  The only proof remaining its original to the car is the VIN stamp.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

X66 714

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »
I had heard something quite a few years back that a type of acid could make the numbers visable again. Was this a tale or is this possible?    Joe

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 08:51:01 PM »
I had heard something quite a few years back that a type of acid could make the numbers visable again. Was this a tale or is this possible?    Joe

It's possible and worth a try at this point, but the stamping will never be like it was...  http://www.camaros.org/public/acidetch.txt

Good luck!

Paul

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 03:21:40 PM »
He should have come to this site prior to sending out the block.  The only proof remaining its original to the car is the VIN stamp.

Unless the VIN was on the pad and not by the oil filter. 
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

pdq67

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 02:41:23 AM »
Good luck and this is why that even tho I still had my now ruined 350SS's long block in pieces back then, I didn't pick up a correct dated bare block and  have it restamped.  I agonized over this for months and finally went BB!

B/c the sucker would still NOT be my OEM block!

pdq67

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 05:41:05 AM »
That you Paul?
68Z28

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 05:50:33 AM »
   If in fact this was a true DZ block originally (note: I've heard the term 'DZ' widely misused by many to describe blocks for Z 2/8's from all years - but for me means '69 only) maybe it isn't a total loss if this is a block from the timeframe when the vin portion of the stamping was done down by the oil filter boss and not the deck itself.
   I don't pretend to be an expert but was of the opinion that there is a somewhat documented timeframe when this change took place and maybe the OP's car falls into that area where all he lost to the decking would be stamp for date, plant, and engine code designation (enough mind you) but the real proof of originality to the car still exists elsewhere on the block with the matching vin # and in the correct GM font used originally... Or am I off base here?
   Maybe I didn't read the original post and replies close enough - but I would venture that in the case where only the assembly plant/date/usage code are now gone, a good restamp of that info alone or better yet not redoing it at all, might end up being a lot less suspect than having had it all machined off.
   It is also my own opinion that in a scenario as described above, proper and timely diclosure to any interested parties (judging or for sale purposes) might limit a lot of the 'stigma' that would normally be associated with something like this...
   Just my opinion - so flame away if you will...          - Randy

anything