Author Topic: How much sheet metal can i remove ?  (Read 3444 times)

mcmillan customs

• View Profile
How much sheet metal can i remove ?
« on: November 19, 2009, 02:19:56 PM »
I have replaced a few qt panels but never the roof . I was wanting to replace the roof along with the qt panel so i could do a better  job . sub frame and susp. still under car . Will this be to much removed with out putting on a jig that i dont have . I have removed skin and drip rails do to rust and at a stopping point until i get some feed back . should i go ahead and weld roof on then continue

plumL78

• View Profile
Re: How much sheet metal can i remove ?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 03:09:45 PM »
No bracing for that but if it bothers you just do the quarters first as the roof was installed over the quarters from the factory. Melt the lead seam out and cut away some of the roof so you can drill the quarters off

mcmillan customs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:07:27 PM »
I have already removed roof . so there isnt any problems with body sagging or twisting with both qts and roof off ?

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 09:02:57 PM »
Are the rockers rock solid and the rest of the shell assembly? Did you at least brace the shell prior to removal? Triangulation is a strong form of structural integrity. Leave the doors on and fit to new quarters and rockers.  Establishing these gaps first is important. Now that you took it apart forge ahead.