Author Topic: 69 Z28 engine dates  (Read 12583 times)

clarkedog

• View Profile
69 Z28 engine dates
« on: April 04, 2006, 05:41:26 PM »
Hi everyone ,After a few weeks of research and getting some more parts from the previous owner(and info)my car that I thought was a SS is a Z28. What I need to know is the time span the dates should be  for the engine. Car build is O2C I am searching for a 302 and want to make sure the dates match up. Thanks, Scott

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69 Z28 engine dates
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 05:47:28 PM »
Engine assembly date (stamp pad date) typically precedes car final assembly date by 2-6 weeks, although there are many exceptions; the block casting date must (obviously) precede the pad stamp date.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

clarkedog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 07:22:15 PM »
John Z I found a 302 with casting date of OCT.18 (J 18 8) do you think thats to early? block has been decked so no date on pad. Seems a little too far off but basically he has the complete engine minus carb and pistons for what seems to be a fair price but I just want to make sure the dates are ok. Heads are Jan 10 and 13 any help would be great Thanks Scott

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 04:45:42 PM »
Four months is a bit of a stretch, although in NCRS judging we allow up to six months, recognizing that strange things happened occasionally. I'm not sure what the Camaro judging rules allow - have never seen anything published.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 05:27:04 PM »
I have around 400 '69 Z/28 VIN/engine dates in my db. For the most part none of the rules apply to Z/28s.

A couple of factors are which plant assembled the car and when it was assembled.

Here is something to consider: There is paperwork showing a 2nd week February Z/28 was built with a 2nd week February engine. The car was delivered to the original owner exactly 1 week after the engine was assembled.

Our documented 06E '67 Z/28 had an engine built July 6th. Go figure.

Don't apply this to SHP big blocks; they defy logic. COPOs built within minutes of each other can have engine dates 5 weeks apart.
Learning more and more about less and less...

clarkedog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 06:09:39 PM »
Thanks JohnZ and William There are so many different options I have its a bit overwhelming thanks for the info I will keep you posted on what I get Just want to get the car back to original as close as I can, Scott

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 03:14:14 AM »
I am curious as to what made you go from SS to Z/28? What were the indicators?

They built over 20,000 Z/28's in 1969 and as the year went on they built them pretty quickly. Any motor older then 2-3 months in a Z/28 built after the first of the year will get a closer look. Not to say there isn't any Z's with original motors older then that but they better have documents to back it up.

Also different blocks were used in 1969 and depending on when the car was made could make a difference on the casting number of the block being used.

Go to Carlisle during the Camaro show, there will be a lot of cars to check out.

Rick H.

clarkedog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 05:14:56 AM »
Rick the reason I went to Z28 from SS is basically info I gathered from this site and from prev owner. After I got the car it took me a few weeks to get all the parts. I ended up getting the original rear spoiler whitch had the original rallye green paint with white stripes on  it under the red it was painted Prev owner also said when he stripped the car down to metal for current paint the car was painted green with white stripes. He also gave me all the original Z28 embems he took off when he put SS emblems on. The car was equipped with a factory tach witch someone took out and taped in a fuel guage console guage wiring harness was tucked up behind the defroster vents It has the quick ratio steering brake valve under door with correct brake booster (9204) four leaf springs exhaust hanger welded to rear frame single 3/8 fuel line from what I can tell this all points to a Z28 Its funny I was happy with an SS but things just got better What do you think Z28 or not I am very open to all input and opinions   Thanks ,Scott

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 11:19:16 AM »
If it's a February of 69 Z28 there will be an X33 or X77 on the cowl tag.  Doesn't get much simpler than that, (unless the tag is missing).
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

clarkedog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 05:01:14 PM »
LOS car no x codes unfortunatly

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 09:45:49 PM »
clarkedog, I too have a non-matching DZ in my X33. If you can find a correct date you will be very lucky due to the lack of them around. I would concentrate more on the quality of what you can find. Even a date correct block will have a non-matching partial vin. Just my $.02.

To go along with what William said, my 02D has an early march differential.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

clarkedog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 10:39:41 PM »
Gary Thanks for your reply . I understand what your saying. You wouldnt believe how many people said they have the block for me and they will put whatever date I want on it.Trying to avoid that but I dont think its going to happen.I am in no hurry just waiting to get lucky I guess.Thanks Scott

anything