Author Topic: Restoring Early '67 Sub-frame  (Read 3316 times)

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
Restoring Early '67 Sub-frame
« on: November 12, 2009, 04:04:57 AM »
  Just thought I'd come on and post some pictures of how my Sub-frame restoration is going.   Doing it myself with the help of a couple talented friends.  I got it sandblased 2 weeks ago finally, we have had a lot of rain here kind of held up progress.  Then took it to my brother-in-law who is a professional welder for some repairs.   The 4 rear mount holes were rusted, so I got a kit from Rick's that consisted of 4 washers, he welded those in.  Then there was a like rusted through crack under the drivers side of the Radiator.  He cut out a like 2" X 4" section and welded in NEW correct guage.   And then, in the front center there is a like 9" long brace that somehow got "crunched in", he heated and straightened that.  We did some other minor repairs, and it's lookin' good.  The whole thing is sprayed ACE Rust Stop Satin Black, looks nice. ;)
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

Stillwater Camaro

• View Profile
Re: Restoring Early '67 Sub-frame
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:36:45 PM »
Nice work... ;D The front brace is a common casualty of parking curbs... >:(
1967 Camaro SS/RS 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1967 GTO

Buddy

• View Profile
Re: Restoring Early '67 Sub-frame
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 03:41:42 PM »

The coating/paint will make all the difference in the world down the road. Make sure you use some of the good ceramic coatings that are available and get the right gloss as well.

Also check around the bottom frame rails near the spring holes for stress cracks. Very common.

Buddy