Author Topic: Paint Advice Needed  (Read 5720 times)

jims68z

• View Profile
Paint Advice Needed
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:03:07 PM »
I am restoring my 68 Z and had new floor pans and trunk floor installed.  I am finishing the underside and will be painting shortly.  A friend suggested using Extreme Chassis Black paint from Eastwood company.  I had the car media blasted a few months ago and primed with 2 part epoxy primer and did my finish work on top of that.  Would it be in the correct direction to paint the underside of the car, the rear axle, springs, firewall, core support, subframe, inner fenders, and front suspension with the same satin paint?  I know the original would have had overspray underneath just as the firewall would have overspray from body color and cowl area would have overspray from the stripes being painted on the car.  I want to be correct.....but not "that correct" if that makes any sense.  Also, has anyone used the Eastwood product?  I know I will have to sand my primer now because it has passed its window, but do I need to reprime over it or can I spray paint over it?  Do I need to buy Eastwood's chassis paint kit with their primer or will any primer do?  Their standard kit comes with 2 quarts of Extreme Chassis Black paint and 1 quart of primer.  Is that enough for the job?  Any adivice would be helpful.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Paint Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 05:00:18 PM »
None of the under car components were on the car body when it was painted, so none of that stuff (axles, subframe, brake fuel lines, springs, front inner fenderwells, etc.), would have any kind of body color overspray on it.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 12:40:40 AM »
I have used and have read about many people using DP-90 on the subframe. I used a black lacquer sash paint on my inner fenders, DP-90 on my firewall (I think) DP 90 on the underside (I did overspray my car), My springs are gray steel color, I have read that the springs were either black or natural gray steel color. Mine were originally not painted so I went back that way. Front suspension is not painted, natural color steel. McNeish's book has a really good section in the back of his book that gives you the percentage of gloss used on various parts off the car.

Lawrence
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 05:13:52 PM »
I've seen the Eastwood Extreme,Its not bad as far as correct gloss.  Very hard and when set lacquer thinner will not cut it.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »
I used DP-90 on the Car and the Frame parts then sprayed the correct gloss over that using PPG urethane products.

jims68z

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 08:48:22 PM »
what did you think of the PPG urethane products?  Do you remember what it cost and how much you used? 

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 11:03:21 PM »
I never had a problem with using PPG urethane. My inner fenders are shot with Concept. Other parts are PPG 9266 or SEM. Be prepared to burp for the urethane. PPG Concept is but one choice for the exterior but uses a flattening agent for the undercarriage. Same animal. Call your jobber and get a price for all three and decide. Urethane being the most durable obviously. My car sees the road often and none of the above three are failing.

anything