Author Topic: Fisrt time 1st gen buyer - VIN research  (Read 4513 times)

wm80

• View Profile
Fisrt time 1st gen buyer - VIN research
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:39:55 AM »
Hello All,

I am a long time 1st gen camaro fan and have finally gotten to the point where I can afford to buy one. I found a 1969 X11 SS(not numbers matching) for sale through private party, but I am extremely worried about getting ripped off. The seller has provided me with the VIN number, but I am not sure where to start with it. I'm going to carfax it, but I don't know what else to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Walt

hotz

• View Profile
Re: Fisrt time 1st gen buyer - VIN research
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 05:05:16 AM »
Hey Walt,
The more info you can post here the better we will be able to help you. Do you have the cowl tag numbers? The cowl tag is on the fire wall drivers side. With the cowl tag you can see what paint color, interior type, when and were the car was made along with some numbers off the cowl tag should match the vin number. You then can compare what the car has now and what the car had. Look forward to hearing more about your car.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 02:46:21 PM »
Try to get photos of the car, the trim tag, and the vin. The more photos the better. Post them here, and let the experts have a look.

Good hunting.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

olympic69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 05:43:29 PM »
There are ways to point you in the right direction, short of having someone who is an expert looking at it. As Tom said- Cowl tags, body #'s, build dates, VIN's, structural / option enhancements- post what you have- leave the last 3 numbers off the VIN if you like, just shoot some Info of what you know. Their is always the risk that one may get taken-but knowledege is power if applied properly!     

Hello All,

I am a long time 1st gen camaro fan and have finally gotten to the point where I can afford to buy one. I found a 1969 X11 SS(not numbers matching) for sale through private party, but I am extremely worried about getting ripped off. The seller has provided me with the VIN number, but I am not sure where to start with it. I'm going to carfax it, but I don't know what else to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Walt
Rob
Olympic Gold X33

"Its all crazy..."

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 09:13:43 PM »
I would buy Jerrys book and read it before makeing any moves on a car like that.It is very informative and will show you what to look for when looking at a 69 camaro. You can order a book on his website at   http://www.z28camaro.com
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 01:01:11 PM »
Depending on how much you are spending, and where the car is located, you might consider hiring Jerry to inspect the car before purchase. If it's a fraud, the inspection could save you much heartache, if it's real the inspection would provide evidence supporting the value of the car.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

anything