Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > General Discussion

Reverse lockout linkage (Backdrive linkage)

(1/2) > >>

tigs69:
Could someone please explain what the Reverse lockout linkage (Backdrive linkage) does. I have a 69 RS with a saginaw 4speed, 327ci  we are putting back together after 16 years in the garage and can't find the lower rod. The steering colume locks fine. Is it some kind of safety feature or  ??? Thanks for any info.

william:
It was a federal mandate to help discourage auto theft. The car had to be Park [auto] or reverse [manual] in order to remove the key from the ignition.

The parts were fairly specific-Muncie stuff will not work on a Saginaw. In fact a Muncie SB used a different lower lock rod than a BB.

If you can't find the correct lower rod [3955767, same as used on a standard 3-speed floor shift] it should be fairly easy to fab one out of mild steel rod.

tigs69:
Thanks for the response William. But I quit don't understand, I do not have that lower rod installed and my key comes out fine in any gear so I am way confused!  ???

william:
The lower collar on the column is rotated to the lock position. Rotate it clockwise with the key in the run position. Ignition switch will not go to the lock position and the key will not come out.

The lock out linkage usually got in the way of headers and was trashed. The collar was left in the lock position and the bulbs were taken out of the reverse lamps.

tigs69:
Thank you William, I understand now  :). Happy motoring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page