Author Topic: Rear Springs  (Read 12134 times)

bowtiegarage

• View Profile
Rear Springs
« on: October 18, 2009, 02:20:41 PM »
I just installed new 5 leaf springs for the rear of my 69 SS396 and it sits about 2 inches too high and is very stiff. I bought these from Rich's Camaro. Does any one sell any springs that will give me the proper original ride height and a good ride.

mrdetails

• View Profile
Re: Rear Springs
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 01:36:55 PM »
Try Heartbeat City.......
Good Luck
Sam

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 09:16:41 PM »
Eaton Detroit was a good supplier. Have you tried them?

-Mark.

Trick1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 07:23:33 AM »
Did you tighten it all up with all the weight on the tires?

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 02:26:30 PM »
Did you buy the technically correct GM springs that Bob Harris had made or are they generic replacements?  Many variations are available.  None of these rear springs will sit right on the money, you will have to take them to your local spring works shop and have them de-arch the springs.  Tell them you want 2" less ride height and they'll know exactly what to do.  Or you can try a couple of hundred pounds of sand bags in the trunk for a month or so.  Pick your poison, and good luck.

If you own a 1st gen Camaro, I personally would not install anything but the technically correct springs that Bob had made.  They are right on the money.  Why spend the money on something that looks totally incorrect in the car?

Jerry 

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 02:43:03 PM »
Jerry,
What's the difference between Bob's and Eaton's? I thought Eaton's were correct, but I don't recall looking closely at them.
Thanks!
Kurt S
CRG

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 08:05:02 PM »
I thought Bob had Detroit Eaton make him a run of those correct springs. Is that right?

FYI - My first set of Detroit Eaton springs did ride a little high. I called them about it and gave them exact measurements to adjust the height and they sent out (4) new custom springs that were DEAD NUTS exactly the right ride height as I requested. They paid the freight to return the first set and sent UPS truck when I told them I was ready. No extra charge. These replacement springs are not 100% technicaly correct but they fit and get the job done. There are some slight visual detail differences from original but unless you have a 100 point car, those regular springs are fine.

-Mark.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 01:56:43 AM »
Mark,

I think you are correct, Bob had Eaton make the springs from an original sample set so they were right on the money.  I think the best deals can be had from buying from Camaro Specialties.  Most vendors are selling them for about $380 a pair.

Jerry

detfox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 12:21:27 PM »
I'm glad this topic has come up again. I have the orginal springs in my 69 Z and after the years, as expected it has sagged. The problem is the driver's side is a 1/2 inch lower, however i am happy with the ride height on the passenger side.  I thought about new springs, but I don't drive the car much so I was concerned about the time it would take to settle. Also, I thought it was better to keep the originals.  Since I was not sure what to do I have left them on.  So, what I'm understanding here, is that I can purchase Eaton springs and have them de-arched to my desired ride height or let them know the height I want and they will make them to per my request?  Then should I hang on to my old springs, since they are the originals?

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 03:46:40 PM »
Re-arch your original spring.  If they are not cracked as what happens to many of them, you can rebuild them and re-arch them.  Rick's sells a kit.

Only buy the new ones if yours are no good, broken or rusted beyond using.

Jerry

RobF

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 04:50:18 PM »
I had Eaton re-arch the mono-leafs on my '67. No problems with ride heights or sag (had them arched around 10 years ago).

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 05:24:20 PM »
I have done this more than once with the race car and they keep right on a workin'

I have oem '67 springs in the new '67 Z race car.  And had them in the Strickler car too.  Monos are the way to go for racing.

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 09:06:48 PM »
Jerry,
What's the difference between Bob's and Eaton's? I thought Eaton's were correct, but I don't recall looking closely at them.
Thanks!

Mark,

I think you are correct, Bob had Eaton make the springs from an original sample set so they were right on the money.  I think the best deals can be had from buying from Camaro Specialties.  Most vendors are selling them for about $380 a pair.

Jerry

Which of these are acceptable for "Legends" Judging?  Will you also please post a website where the correct springs can be purchased?
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:42:02 PM by IZRSSS »

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 10:17:23 PM »
I would get the ones from Bob H.

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 10:48:35 PM »
Sorry but I don't know who Bob is. Is it through Camaro Specialties? If not, do you have a website?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:17:34 PM by IZRSSS »

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 02:50:18 PM »
716-652-7086, Camaro Specialties.

Bob Harris.

IZRSSS

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »
Thanks Jerry!