Author Topic: Engine Mounting  (Read 14287 times)

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
Engine Mounting
« on: September 22, 2009, 04:24:58 PM »
Hello-

My car is a 69 Camaro RS and I currently have a 383 SBC with a 700R trans.  The MSD distributer cap is probably a 1/8" from the firewall.  The cap is a std GM cap.

A friend of mine is currently building a 69 Camaro Z28 clone.  His subframe is in with his 302 and 4 speed.  No front clip yet.  Stopped by and looked it over this morning and he has about 1.5" of clearance between his distributer and firewall.  We parked my car in front of his car and kept looking back and fourth, all looks to be the same (engine mounts, position, etc). We could not figure it out.

Side Note.  When finishing my car the new driveshaft was about 1" to long so we had it shortend to fit.  Now I am thinking the driveshaft was correct and somehow my engine is sitting to far back.  Any ideas, refferences, what to measure, etc?

Thanks,

Damon
Damon

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: Engine Mounting
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 10:12:24 PM »
I understand that the engine mounts are used to position the 6 cyl's a little farther back, and the BB farther forward relative to the small block.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 10:30:25 PM »
We went back and fourth between my car and his and could not see a difference in the engine mounts.  I will play with it more this week, very weird.  Maybe I have 6 cylinder mounts?

Thanks,

Damon
Damon

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »
Did you check the alignment holes for the frame to body?  Could be the whole frame is pushed back.  Forget what size pin you use but with that much difference I would think it would be obvious by eye.  Let us know what you find & good luck.
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 02:05:17 AM »
Measured the wheelbase, 108".

I am thinking my "Bowtie Overdrives" crossmember was installed upside-down which makes the trans and engine tilt back slightly causing the distributer to run the firewall.  Anyone have any pics of there crossmember on a 67 to 69 Camaro with a 700 trans?  I will call Botie in the morning.

As always, thanks.

Damon
Damon

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 10:11:08 AM »
Your carb should be sitting level, compensated by the 4° machined tilt in the intake manifold's carb flange.
If your engine was not level enough to cause your distributor to be so close to the firewall, You'd have to notice your carb sitting way off.

How much room is between your crank pulley and the crossmember?
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 03:42:38 PM »
Spoke to Bowtie, its in correct, back to the drawing board.  My car has a fluid dampner if it matters.  Will measure that distance as well and run a level on the carb.

Thanks-

Damon
Damon

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 08:31:57 PM »
Hvae not measured the pulley to frame yet but I did place a level on the carb and it is very close to being perfectly level when parked on a level surface.  Back to the drawing board...

Damon
Damon

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 10:28:40 PM »
Damond,
Could you post some pic's of what your looking at with the distributor/firewall?  Also, any close-ups of the engine and frame mounts.  I went through your posts and saw a lot of pic's of the frame when you (or buddy) had it out but no real good close-ups of either of the engine or frame mounts-hopefully you have some.  Did see you had an issue with the block hugger headers rubbing a engine mount though so that's got me wondering about them.  What's the casting number of the block?  Also, I know you said you measured the wheelbase but you should really double check the frame to body alignment holes too.
You would think things like this would be easy to figure out, and when their not, I love finding out what it was! 
Chris P

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 04:39:59 PM »
Thanks Pex-

It appears the block casting number is either "14010207" or "11010207" and also note how much of the fan blade sticks out of the shorud, is that normal? Enjoy the pics and thanks again.

Damon

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 04:55:40 AM »
Damond,
Looks like the frame mounts are aftermarket-are they? Can anyone else confirm on that last pic looking at the middle mounting bolt of the frame stand and it being almost centered in relation to the tower and the fact it's hanging so far off the frame that it's the frame mount setting the engine too far back?  Shouldn't the hole be more rearward there by pulling the whole assy forward?  My car's a BB so I’m not sure with the SB stands but that just doesn't look right...

Chris P

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 02:18:26 PM »
also note how much of the fan blade sticks out of the shorud, is that normal?

Yes, that's normal - the fan blades should be half-in and half-out of the rear edge of the shroud, and they are.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 02:36:49 PM »

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 05:58:31 PM »
Compare the MSD distributor and cap to a stock one.  After looking at the MSD setup and mine, it looks taller than stock.  The clearance between the cap and firewall look to be the same.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 04:05:03 PM »
Mark,

Thanks!  Here is what I came up with:

Firewall to center of air cleaner stud 11.5" (you had 12.5")

Firewall to fan shroud 31 1/8" (you had 35.5") Maybe my shroud is thicker?

Alt Braket to fan shroud 4 11/16" (you had 3")

I think your stud to fan shroud of 29.88 is incorrect

I did not do firewall to hood latch as I need a better description of where you stopping at the hood latch please.

I love your engine compartment.  I have the original (350 w/ AC) engine all rebuilt and plan to install it someday so I may need your help/pictures when I get to that point, beautiful.

WYKO- Yes, the MSD distributer is taller and it uses a GM cap.  My friend is building a 69 z28 clone with a 302/4 speed and our caps are interchangeable.  He has a solid 1.5" plus between his firewall and Distributer.

Damon