Author Topic: Towing Car Trailers In NC  (Read 27913 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Towing Car Trailers In NC
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2009, 01:04:22 PM »
Jerry,

Looks like if you are on the Interstate pulling anything which may combine to 10,000+ lbs, has hazerdous materials (gasoline in the car you are towing???), is even remotely related to commercial (CHP???) and/or capable of carrying more than 8 persons you could get pulled.  As I've said above, church vans and two horse trailers are getting DOT numbers.  As you have said, it would be great if that trooper had been a little more civil and explained why he pulled you over...
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2009, 01:45:13 PM »
Have no idea about getting DOT numbers and I have to wonder if when you do, this becomes an annual fee to drain our pockets more than we are already paying in taxes and such?  My truck and trailer are in my name and that's the way it will stay until something changes.  My trailer is registered in Maine as that's been a loop hole for many years.  Much cheaper and many racers do it and most of the tractor and trailers that you see have Maine tags.

Jerry

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2009, 01:51:49 PM »
It's either another grab from your wallet or the fact that nine little old ladies in a church van are hazerdous...  Obviously the enforcement agencies can argue the environment, safety, etc. but they sure are casting a very wide net....

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 05:40:52 PM »
I am pretty sure that you will have to have your truck and trailer certified and a sticker in your window to drive on the interstate..almost like  a state park pass..pass the plate everybody....(wow almost 3 years on this board and I am finally a jr...not a newbie...yeah)

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 01:56:02 AM »
If anyone can point to DOT regulations regarding the upcoming required registration of trailers, it would be very helpful. If the rules are changing, one would reasonably expect the state in which your trailer is registered to send out notices informing us of new regulations.
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 04:52:26 PM »
I don't know about your state, but I am in NJ. Rules change without notification. It is considered to be my responsibility to keep current or accept the consequences of my ignorance.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2009, 02:56:44 AM »
I don't know about your state, but I am in NJ. Rules change without notification. It is considered to be my responsibility to keep current or accept the consequences of my ignorance.

Exactly. It's the citizen's responsibility to know the law. One's yard would be filled daily if everyone was notified of every change for every law. All DOT regs are supposed to be known prior to travelling on the road. Truckers do it because it's their job. We did it when towing cars. And the same principle applies to recreational vehicles that have "x" weight. Not for hire yes, but R & R's apply nonetheless. I'm sure they would not have been pleased if we had no trailer brakes when hauling a 6 place snowmobile trailer with a recreational dually crew cab.

jmcbeth

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2009, 01:26:26 AM »

OK, I did some research for the State of Maryland and here's what I found:

“UNIFIED CARRIER REGISTRATION ACT”

The “Unified Carrier Registration Act” (UCRA), which became effective in the latter part of 2007, replaced the Single-State-Registration Program. Under the UCRA, all motor carriers, brokers, freight forwarders, and persons leasing vehicles over 10,000 pounds are required to pay a registration fee for power units, trailers and semi-trailers that operate in “interstate commerce.” Maryland does not participate in the UCRA, but Maryland motor carriers, brokers, freight forwarders and individuals leasing vehicles over 10,000 pounds which are used in “interstate commerce,” (that travel out of state) will be required to register under the UCRA.

Upon further investigation, I found the following definitiions:

“Motor carrier” means a person providing commercial motor vehicle (as defined in section 31132 of 49 USC) transportation for compensation.
   “Motor private carrier” means a person, other than a motor carrier, transporting property by commercial motor vehicle (as defined in section 31132 of 49 USC) when - (A) the transportation is as provided in section 13501 of 49 USC; (B) the person is the owner, lessee, or bailee of the property being transported; and (C) the property is being transported for sale, lease, rent, or bailment or to further a commercial enterprise.
   “Broker” means a person, other than a motor carrier, who sells or arranges for transportation by a motor carrier for compensation.
   “Freight forwarder” means a person who arranges for truck transportation of cargo belonging to others, utilizing for-hire carriers to provide the actual truck transportation, and also performs or provides for assembling, consolidating, break-bulk and distribution of shipments and assumes responsibility for transportation from place of receipt to destination.
   “Leasing company” means a person or company engaged in the business of leasing or renting for compensation motor vehicles they own without drivers to a motor carrier, motor private carrier, or freight forwarder.

My read of all of the above is that I do not have to register, because I am not a commercial rtransporter. Sound right?
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 02:56:46 PM »
You are probably right, but they could pull you over because they don't know you are not commercial and your trailer better pass the basic walk around(Breakaway for brakes) cuz I'm sure you do not want to leave your trailer(and our vaulable camaros) sitting in(on) the wayside while you go get parts to make it work(or pass)...I know I would be nervous leaving my car behind...just a thought

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2009, 07:29:47 PM »
My read of all of the above is that I do not have to register, because I am not a commercial rtransporter. Sound right?

As I have said above, lots of various trailer pulling folks and church vans have thought they were exempt...
Which is what Jerry thought until he drove past a weigh station in another state.  Thankfully, our NC trooper was just rude, not malicious.  I think PURESS has hit the nail on the head!

BTW, here's what the NC Crime Contol and Public Safety site says:

"Vehicles with a GVWR of 10,001 lbs. or more used as part of a business (including a non-profit organization) and crosses state lines, are considered commercial motor vehicles for purposes of most of the safety regulations. This applies to single vehicles (trucks and vans) and to combinations of vehicles (such as a truck pulling a trailer or other equipment). At 26,001 lb. and above GVWR, additional requirements also apply (Commercial Driver's License and Drug and Alcohol Testing). In addition, vehicles that carry hazardous materials and certain passenger carrying vehicles are considered commercial regardless of GVWR."

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:41:19 PM by lakeholme »

jmcbeth

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 04:36:35 PM »
You are probably right, but they could pull you over because they don't know you are not commercial and your trailer better pass the basic walk around(Breakaway for brakes) cuz I'm sure you do not want to leave your trailer(and our valuable camaros) sitting in(on) the wayside while you go get parts to make it work(or pass)...I know I would be nervous leaving my car behind...just a thought

Well, if you think about it, it's reasonable for a policeman to verify that the trailer is safe. Mine is and I have all of the required safety features. I'll be sure to post when/if I get stopped.
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
Had my hearing today..No ONE and I mean NO ONE..could figure out why I was being charge for Failure to Stop at RR crossing...Took them over an hour and a half to straighten this mess out and I wasn't even on the list for the hearing Today...sat for 2 1/2 hours waiting for my turn...Not really Happy if you know what I mean..But am Happy to have this worked out..Record cleared and no Fine