Author Topic: Towing Car Trailers In NC  (Read 27919 times)

PURESS

• View Profile
Re: Towing Car Trailers In NC
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 07:54:38 PM »
And is your trailer registered that way also?

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 01:41:32 AM »
Truck and trailer are registered in my name.  Not a company name.  Thought about filing a complaint in NC but I know that would be a waste of time.  I would like some answers as to WHY I was pulled over.

Jerry

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 02:10:39 AM »
Truck and trailer are registered in my name.  Not a company name.  Thought about filing a complaint in NC but I know that would be a waste of time.  I would like some answers as to WHY I was pulled over.

Jerry

You said the name was on the bottom of the door but that may not be why. A lot of guys I know have "Not for Hire" on the bottom of the door. I had that on the bottom of the flatbed when hauling cars. Reasons for pulling flatbeds and trailers over are based on safety concerns and revenue and can be done at random or not at all. There does not have to be an obvious invitation like a light out to support "probable cause". It's a rig, it's on the road, it's open for an inspection.

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 01:42:38 PM »
well said...been pulling a 16' trailer for 5 years now for my business and have been pulled over once a year for the last 5 years(I am commerical) and they always seem to find something...safety concerns ..yes and revenue...YES

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 02:56:22 PM »
Jerry,

Just got off the phone with a friend at NCDOT (took me a while to catch up with him), he says yes, private trailers are being pulled over if they go by the weight station.  Apparently, it is proving to be a real pain for larger horse trailers, etc.  Were you anywhere close to the weight station above the speedway?  How close were you to Concord and the speedway?  I'm just wondering because both the deputies and highway patrol officers that work around the speedway would probably have given you a whole lot more slack and had a better attitude.  The deputies that work the Autofair all seem to be classic car guys.

As to the character of the trooper, let me remind you that Barney was a deputy and Andy would have kept him straight.  I used to live in the real NC Mayberry... But those "guys out of Raleigh", well, none of us here in Mayberry can understand those guys either.

Yes, the new dragway is great!  Please don't let one bad apple keep you from coming to NC!
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 05:57:56 PM »
I got pulled over on I-77 just as I entered into NC.  There is a weigh station there.  I do appreciate the inifo and will put it to good use in the future.  I just wish I knew more when I was pulled over.  I would have asked questions.  Commercial verses non commercial.

Jerry

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »
So I'm confused, being a non-resident of NC, you stop at the weigh station as you enter the state, they weigh you and if you’re under/over 10,001 they do what???  And being a non-resident, non-commercial, how are you even supposed to know you’re supposed to stop?  What other states have this BS law?
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 08:47:06 PM »
Jerry,

Sorry to hear about the incident. It would ruin my day too. I've certainly never had a problem in MD, PA, WV, or DE.

Dd you get a ticket? What was the fine? Any points?

Congrats on the racing accomplishments.

Best,

John
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 09:46:43 PM »
my citation this year was "fail to display company name", fine $178.....paid the fine and had my name and address painted on trailer...recieved in the mail TODAY Late payment advisory and final demand notice....WHAT.....citation for Failure to stop placard vechile at RR crossing owe $255 more...this should be fun...there is no railroad crossing on the highway where I was stopped...it's a highway/interstate/road...Lady on the phone said she could not do anything about this and I will have to go to court...December 8 is the next opening...chevy 2500 pulling a 16' cargo trailer carrying PEPPERIDGE FARM cookies and crackers...nothing too Hazard(maybe for your health if you eat too much)..should be fun...I have a phone call to the police officer now ..waiting for a return call

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 11:40:33 PM »
Jerry,

Sorry to hear about the incident. It would ruin my day too. I've certainly never had a problem in MD, PA, WV, or DE.

Dd you get a ticket? What was the fine? Any points?

Congrats on the racing accomplishments.

Best,

John

There are no fines or points for a warning; that's what he got.

Like I've said; we pulled in when the station was open. Crew cab dually with a 3 axle trailer. He just told us to keep motoring but could have weighed and checked everything if he wanted to. No big deal.  I had a hand lettering business and when my clients called needing a new truck lettered I got there asap. If they get caught running without the name and DOT numbers there is a fine. And the numbers have to be a minimum height. One driver said at one stop the guy actually measured them to make sure they were 2 inches tall.

I ran with my friend Paul in his 79 Mack triaxle and inspections were commonplace. And obviously dreaded.

jmcbeth

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 03:18:33 PM »
Yes, I re-read Jerry's post and saw that it was a warning. Thanks.

I am still wondering what the correct action is. If you are a private citizen (not a business) towing a car in a trailer, do you need to stop at weigh stations or not? Is this a state-by-state issue, or a federal issue? Any state police officers on this board that can shed some light? I am constantly transporting my Camaros back and forth between MD and WV on I-70 and I-81, passing weigh stations both ways in both states. I never even considered stopping before, now am worried...
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 10:30:48 PM »
I'm with you John.  Again, what's the process?
So I'm confused, being a non-resident of NC, you stop at the weigh station as you enter the state, they weigh you and if you’re under/over 10,001 they do what???  And being a non-resident, non-commercial, how are you even supposed to know you’re supposed to stop?  What other states have this BS law?
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 01:15:16 PM »
You might want to read up on the Legistration(?)...August 1, 2011 says all vechicles over 10,000 lbs must have a D.O.T. number, This is combined weight, truck and trailer.....so do non commercial vechiles need one also...I am beginning to think big brother is watching over us...and to be safe..I'll bet you will need one....and I would say if you get a D.O.T. number you will have to have it insepected every year by a certified D.O.T. mechanic...TOYS can Be Expensive...But we LOVE THEM

jmcbeth

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 01:52:10 AM »
You might want to read up on the Legistration(?)...August 1, 2011 says all vechicles over 10,000 lbs must have a D.O.T. number, This is combined weight, truck and trailer.....so do non commercial vechiles need one also...I am beginning to think big brother is watching over us...and to be safe..I'll bet you will need one....and I would say if you get a D.O.T. number you will have to have it insepected every year by a certified D.O.T. mechanic...TOYS can Be Expensive...But we LOVE THEM

Wow. So, this is nation-wide, eh? Do you suppose we will receive a notice from someone, or are we just supposed to know this...
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 11:45:52 AM »
I'm wondering if something classified as a "recreactional vehicle" will not classify for the new rules?

Jerry