Author Topic: Date Coded Glass  (Read 9258 times)

69houdini

• 69 SS X55 Butternut Vert / 68 Z28 Rally Green
    • View Profile
Date Coded Glass
« on: September 15, 2009, 04:12:29 PM »
 Looking for some leads on Date Coded Glass. I have a 69' Convertible SS and want all 5 pcs. Please give me a heads up on what I need to be correct and where I can get it. Thanks, John

Lenny

• 68 LeMans Blue Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
Re: Date Coded Glass
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:40:44 PM »
Hi John, I replaced all the glass in my 68 Coupe. I got it from "Auto City Classic, Inc." (763/444-5880) out of Minnesota, a few years back. I furnished them the VIN and they put on the code. I don't know if they are still in business or not but you can call the number and see....Good Luck...Lenny
Lenny - Numbers Matching
Other Ride - -
62 Chevy "Biscayne"
2dr Post - BB

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 11:29:28 PM »
They're still in business - lots of NCRS guys use them for dated Corvette glass.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 01:27:52 AM »
Try PS Auto Glass. See http://www.psautoglass.com/default.aspx. Jerry recommended them to me. If you call them with your build date they will know what date codes are appropriate. Did an outstanding job  on my '69 Z/28. Like you, I replaced all windows (for me it was 6). One of the big problems with new glass is the curvature. PS Auto got it right.
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

69houdini

• 69 SS X55 Butternut Vert / 68 Z28 Rally Green
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:42:58 PM »
Thanks guys, I got dinged on points so I need to replace with quality date coded glass. I appreciate the leads.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 11:09:04 PM »
Their glass is dead on accurate with no curvature fitment issues whatsoever with all 6 pieces? I did not know someone was making them perfect yet.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 11:44:11 PM by Sauron327 »

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 07:09:04 PM »
I've been looking for correct door glass for my 69. I got a complete set from auto city, date coded. All the pieces were nice except the door glass. They date coded them exactly as my old ones.They were the best price and verry good to deal with.

The side lites were the only problem. The curve from top to bottom is their but the curve from front to back is not. With the glass in the door their is a gap in the middle between the fuzzy and the glass. I put a straight edge along the lower portion of the window and it is flat. An original window has a slight curve horizontally as well as vert. they also had cloudy marks.

I ordered an expensive one (2x) from OEM glass (not so nice to deal with) and it was the same except no cloudy marks.

I just checked the psauto glass site and they don't show any 69 side lites.

Shauron327 could you please check your doors with the windows rolled up to see if their is a gap in the middle of the door between the glass and the fuzzy where the glass meets the door and let me know.

I am polishing a set of original side lites at pressent. I got the stuff from Eastwood. You have to be carefull not to dish the area of any severe scratches or you will get a lensing affect.The ultra fine polishing paper works well but is very labor intensive. I've got about 50 hrs. into them so far. they look really good and all I have to do is use the cerrium oxide polishing compound on them.

Sam

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:15:26 PM »
Nobody as far as I know it double compound curving the glass. Maybe in the future someone will. My glass guy said ( and I take every statement lightly except those with validation) that there really is not enough money in it for them to produce accurate glass. The % of musclecar glass sold is miniscule compared to the millions of other vehicle glass. You are in the same boat as others with the poor fitting glass. Polish away unless you can locate better pieces. Onebad34 got a rear glass from me after 4? bad repo ones. He polished it but like you, it's labor intensive. I've been tempted many times to throw out my glass supply but stop myself. None of it's flawless but at least it's all date coded.

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »
Thanks. I was kinda considering building a machine to do the polishing. Then all I would have to do is watch it. I wonder if their would be anyone interested in having their windows done?
Sam

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 11:03:57 PM »
  RIGHT ON!!!   Just picked up my dated windshield for my 11A built '67 Coupe, that's all I can say is it is right on the money compared to the original.   I am very pleased.  This Forum is awesome, it has helped in so many ways already.  This company PS Auto Glass, was reccomended  by Jerry M. (see above reply)and it is right in my area.  I picked it up.   AWESOME !   Thanks everyone!
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois