Author Topic: Power Steering Overflowing  (Read 6548 times)

69houdini

• 69 SS X55 Butternut Vert / 68 Z28 Rally Green
    • View Profile
Power Steering Overflowing
« on: August 28, 2009, 05:24:25 PM »
Hope you can help. I have read about this problem but there seems as if there is no definitive answer. When I go for a cruise in the afternoon and get back home I notice that my power steering fluid boils over and spills out. It does not happen all of the time but only when it gets hot. I have read in order to fix this problem that I need to get air out of the system and to raise the front end, start the motor, fill the power steering resevoir while turning the wheels left and right. I have all new belts and they are not slipping. However, the replacement belts that I bought are about 1/2" - 3/4" smaller than my original belt. Could this be the cause of the fluid getting too hot? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
Re: Power Steering Overflowing
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:13:33 PM »
Are you able to measure the temp of the fluid when it's at operating temp?
~170F is supposed to be about right.
Also, is the oil pimk & foaming?
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

69houdini

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 11:21:06 PM »
I will check for pink and foamy next time it happens, the temp will be hard to do because a lot pours out so there is none to test. I have checked all my hoses and fittings and they are good- no leaks. Thanks for the operating temp of the fluid. I know it expands under heat so that temp helps. What do you think about belt size? Could a little bigger belt help?   

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 01:10:09 AM »
A longer belt will not change the rpm of the pump. Only pulley diameters will.

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 02:58:11 AM »
Be sure you are checking the fluid level after it is hot. It shouldn't be topped off when cold otherwise it will over flow everytime to refill it.
68 07D SS350
John

69houdini

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 07:25:56 PM »
It's completely a stock original set up so the pulleys are O.K.   I have checked the fluid level in both the cold and hot modes and the levels are correct. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 08:01:03 PM »
I know some one asked already but see if it is foaming right after driving it.
68 07D SS350
John

69houdini

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 03:12:08 AM »
I went to a show today. About a 20 minute drive from my house plus time waiting in line. I checked the level cold before I started out and the level was right on line. When I lined up for the show nothing overflowed. I was thankful yet observant that it just was not that hot, it was down at the beach. I'll keep watching for the foam look. Out of 260 cars I took home a top 15 and top 5 in stock class. This was my 1st judged show. Thanks for your help in past post.

anything