Author Topic: Failing starter  (Read 7384 times)

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Failing starter
« on: August 24, 2009, 07:30:51 PM »
I just replaced the starter on my 69 Z last fall, and now I think it is failing. Starts fine when cold, but when the engine has been running and is hot, nothing. 2 questions: IS there supposed to be some sort of heat shield mounted with the starter, and if so, is heat causing this early failure? Or did I just get a faulty rebuild? Car is driven weekends, nice days. Probably started no more than 30 times since I replaced the starter. I do have the bracket installed on the end of the starter which adds support and takes cantilevered load off the 2 block mounting bolts.

If I need a heat shield, who would supply? GM NAPA? I'm concerned with function not originality.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Failing starter
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 08:13:39 PM »
Jimmy -

Read this CRG thread...  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2365.0

Paul

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 12:35:55 AM »
I had the same problem, and found an excellent thread on the NCRS board. I realize if you are not an NCRS member it does not help you, but the thrust of the article was about the spring inside the solenoid. Aftermarket or springs that come in the rebuild kits are a different lengths than what came original. When they heat up the tension strength of spring changes and does not allow the starter to engage. Heat sheilds may work but from what I read you would only be masking the problem. The real solution is to get a standard not metric spring length for your old GM starter.
I happened to have an old starter at the house so I took the spring out of the solenoid and put it in the faulty starter and that cured my problem. Additionally, I sanded paint off some of the contacts. Also make sure that the contact point from the armeture to the solenoid is good.
Somebody that knows more about this hopefully will chime in. I have only done this once.
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 03:08:49 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm thinking solenoid 1st for two reasons. One, no click at all when cranking, just silence, Secondly, when disconnecting the wiring from the solenoid/starter I replaced last fall, the plastic solenoid housing  just broke into pieces - from overheating I'm pretty sure.  Will try heat wrap and see where it goes from there.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 10:30:57 AM »
I had the same problem, and found an excellent thread on the NCRS board. I realize if you are not an NCRS member it does not help you, but the thrust of the article was about the spring inside the solenoid. Aftermarket or springs that come in the rebuild kits are a different lengths than what came original. When they heat up the tension strength of spring changes and does not allow the starter to engage. Heat sheilds may work but from what I read you would only be masking the problem. The real solution is to get a standard not metric spring length for your old GM starter.
I happened to have an old starter at the house so I took the spring out of the solenoid and put it in the faulty starter and that cured my problem. Additionally, I sanded paint off some of the contacts. Also make sure that the contact point from the armeture to the solenoid is good.
Somebody that knows more about this hopefully will chime in. I have only done this once.

My starter is still not operating correctly and it is not heat related. I am getting a single click when the starter is cold and after repeated attempts it starts. I must have a bad connection?
Any ideas or comments?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 01:00:18 PM »
Jimmy,

I tried heat wrap --looking for a quick, inexpensive fix-- but sixt933rs is right.  It only masked the problem.  Once the air temp got 5 degrees hotter and I drove the car more than 30 minutes, I still had a solenoid problem (no click, no nothing).  This was after I had changed all the wiring, put in a new starter, etc. 
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 02:06:26 PM »
Is the spring the big return spring that comes out when the solenoid is removed?

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 10:59:50 AM »
Is the spring the big return spring that comes out when the solenoid is removed?

Jimmy V.
it is in there.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 12:48:45 PM »
Thanks, guys, I may have an old starter/solenoid laying around as well. Think I'll investigate this further.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

anything