Author Topic: hello,, new to the group  (Read 4770 times)

william1

• View Profile
hello,, new to the group
« on: August 11, 2009, 04:07:10 PM »
 after 39 years i have my hands on a 69 Z28 i have known since high school,, it needs work, so i have started the with the basics mechanicals, but have been blown away at the sheer number of parts suppliers, and have noticed a big difference in quality and cost, can any of the group point to a quality supplier, and so i'm off to do my homework here on the form read read read.

77thor

• View Profile
Re: hello,, new to the group
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:41:57 PM »
Welcome, and post some pic's....
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:15:05 PM »
Welcome aboard!  There are many great vendors out there..., just do your homework, shop around, and you'll most likely be pleased with whomever you go with.
Good Luck!!!
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

68Tom

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 07:17:27 PM »
Hi William.  You also might want to check in on the Team Camaro site.  There's tons of people on there all the time for your more basic questions, such as the one you posed (not that you can't ask here as well).  CRG is invaluable for technical details.  While my post numbers are low here, I'm often on this site doing research or, as you stated, looking at old posts for details already provided.

Prior to starting my restoration, what I did was, contact all the major Camaro parts houses, ordered a catalog, and then did a price comparison of each for the parts I was going to need.  If you are doing a large order all at once, some places give you a bulk discount.  Others often have specials or big 20% off sales during certain times of the year.  I think you'll find that you'll end up using quite a few different parts places over the course of your resto.  For some reason or another one part might be $50 less at one place than another, and then another part it might be vise-versa.  It's very odd.

In any event, some of the major parts houses for Camaro's are the following:

Classic Industries (probably has the largest selection of parts and are the "maker" of most OER (original reproductions))
Ground Up (there's a membership discount if you join Team Camaro)
Ricks First Generation/Ecklers (believed both are owned by Ecklers)
NPD
Bellair Bob's (good for sheetmetal)
Legendary Auto Interior (just started making seatcovers for '69 Camaros.  they are nice--just got a deluxe set in green)
Heartbeat City

Classic Industries probably has the best catalog out of the bunch--very detailed photos and descriptions, so it's definitely worth getting that.

There's a few more that I'm probably getting, but this is the step I'd take if I were you.

Hope that helps some.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »
D&R Classic has a lot of parts as well.
Some things will have to come from the used parts vendors or Ebay but 95% of what you will need can come from any of the vendors.

-Mark.

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 01:26:08 AM »
William,

Welcome to the site. Rebuilding these cars is a total blast. I have found the quality of the parts varies depending on the part and the supplier. It also depends on what you are shooting for, a nice looking driver or a Legends Class car at Camaro Nationals. If it is the former, as long as the part fits and looks nice, go for it. If you are shooting for authenticity, you will spend much more time searching for original "restorable" parts.

My favorite supplier is Rick's. The guys at Rick's seem to know their parts very well and thay are reasonable about returns. (Not as reasonable as they were before Ecklers bought them, but still reasonable.)

Finally, there are lots of people who have restored cars over the years that have extra parts. Post here and on Team Camaro and you will learn who they are and what they have. Once you finish your project, you will join those ranks.

Best of luck and looking forward to seeing some pictures.
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

anything