Author Topic: Oil Filters...  (Read 5594 times)

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Oil Filters...
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:33:36 PM »
Been hashing around again what type of oil filter to use when I do the 'annual' oil change on my 302 (doesn't get much use as you might gather) and was wondering what the preferred type of filter(s) were to use from the contributors on this forum, without starting a poll.
I presently have a shorter AC Delco PF-25c variety in the garage sitting beside a Wix 51060 considerably taller version which would normally be my choice just for sheer volume capability over the AC unit, but...
  I have heard to stay away from Fram and some other name brands, but yet I also hear that there are very few actual makers of these filters and most are the same - just rebranded to appeal to those who prefer one name over another (or a colour or logo for somewhat original appearance).
Wix seems to come fairly highly reccomended across Internet site users as one of the better brands as along as you don't use their race-type variety filters for street use as they are more for high volume filtration verses longer life of the media inside that a street engine would need.
AC Delco is a name I trust obviously and probably should - but after reading a lot of conflicting info on-line is there any practical logic in saying that verses other brands on the market?
All opinions gratefully taken in my quest to learn more on the filteration subject - Thanks - Randy

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Filters...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 02:45:08 AM »
  I've found that the Wix racing filters (black canister) are of very high quality, and I use them. Wix has replacements for the AC PF25 (short canister) and PF35 (long canister), although I can't recall the part #s without going to look. The AC PF1216 replaced the PF25/PF35, but the design has changed and I don't think they're as good as a Wix anymore. They no longer have internal baffling around the paper.
  I've also heard horror stories from my machinist about Fram filters and will not use them on a lawnmower.
  Bottom line--if you change your oil and filter when you should, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference which one you use. I've seen cars with recycled oil and cheap Purolator filters go 100,000+ miles.
  My 2 cents and good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:49:58 AM »
I read something on TC about oil filters and you could search there for it.  I remember that NAPA Gold was one that was good and I have used that one on my Z.  I should also say I used Fram on my 83 VW and only changed the oil every two years or so and got 600k miles out of the engine, so go figure.
68Z28

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 02:48:10 PM »
Wix, Napa Gold, Purolator are all made well, easy to find and reasonably priced. The rest are either not made as well or cost too much to be worth the expense IMHO.

-Mark.

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 03:11:15 AM »
Thanks all for the replies - I ended up using the Wix one I had laying around and will probably stick with that brand into the future as I feel they are probably one of the better ones to use as commented on by some here.
Its a strange topic sometimes in that the opinions about filters are - well - "like navals - everybody has one and they often differ greatly"...
Seems to me I saw on-line somehwere where someone taken it upon themself to cut apart many the available filters available and posted pictures of the internals to show how haphazard and cheaply many were made and why he concluded certain brand names of filters and in fact, often specific model lines within those same name brands were much preferred in his opinion over others .
Unfortunately when the time came for me to actually choose one, I couldn't find the link to the site I thought I had saved along the way.

Randy

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 01:48:58 PM »
Wix and Napa Gold are the same animal according to the Napa rep. But only the Gold. Any conflicting facts on this?

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 12:21:25 PM »
68Zproject - That first link is one of the ones I knew of and had seen previously but couldn't dredge up when I needed it - the second you provided, appears to be even better than the ones I had found earlier - thanks.

The second link seems to also cover many brands that I have never even heard about and therefore obviously couldn't purchase even if I wanted one, but just from the pictoral exploded views it is pretty obvious which ones are constructed using quality bits and pieces - Makes choosing one brand or model of filter over another pretty easy!

Thanks again - Randy

anything