Author Topic: Correct 67 Control Arm Shaft  (Read 8435 times)

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
Correct 67 Control Arm Shaft
« on: August 05, 2009, 07:11:13 AM »
I am in the process of doing a complete restoration of my early '67 Sub-frame.  Per the report here it matches all the spefics of an earlly '67 Sub-frame. (ie; no holes on inside of frame"horns")   I have completely dis-assembled the front suspension.  I just received the Control Arms(A-frames) and Control Arm shafts back from having all the bushings pressed out.   And I just noticed the 2 shafts are different.  1 is more straight across the top and bottom edges, and 1 is more "dog-bone" shaped.  The first has some Gm part #'s -381904 GM 35 D on one side, and 1038 on the other.  the second has no part #'s that I can see.  I am attaching a picture.  I believe that first or top shaft in picture is the correct shaft, can anyone confirm this?   Thank you!!!!
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
Re: Correct 67 Control Arm Shaft
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 05:00:37 PM »
The 'dog bone' shaped shaft is what is in my 68 sb and had no stampings that I could see. The part # series 3819XX shows up in my 68 AIM for front suspension components. I never noticed one shaped like that.

Were different shafts used on 67?
Can some one confirm the part # in thier P&A?
68 07D SS350
John

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:32:09 PM »
My '67 survivor Z28 with 13,000 miles has the lower photo style.  My early built 68 Z28 is the same too.  These are more typically correct and original. 

Jerry

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 12:10:40 AM »
From what I've gathered the top photo (straight shaft) is a service part. I've had two new service ones hanging around for 20 years. Both my 67 and 8 have the dogbone one as well. 

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 03:02:03 PM »
I have seen many LOS '67 Camaros with the straight control arm shaft. Quite often one straight and one dog bone on the other side. I'm sure this was just two different suppliers at the time. I have seen way too many examples going well back into the '70s and this is not just a service part situation. I should make clear this in regards to LOS-built '67 Camaros. For Norwood-built cars or other years, I have not followed the usage to the same degree.

-Jon
Jon Mello
CRG

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 05:00:05 PM »
My LOS has the dogbones.
I have seen many LOS '67 Camaros with the straight control arm shaft. Quite often one straight and one dog bone on the other side. I'm sure this was just two different suppliers at the time. I have seen way too many examples going well back into the '70s and this is not just a service part situation. I should make clear this in regards to LOS-built '67 Camaros. For Norwood-built cars or other years, I have not followed the usage to the same degree.

-Jon

My LOS has the dogbones. So is it correct to assume that I indeed have NOS ones and not service parts?
Someone needed an NOS pair and when they saw mine they were not interested.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 05:46:22 AM »
I'm not sure what you are meaning by NOS ones. Do you mean are they originals and not service parts? Most likely they are originals. As production moved closer to the end of the '67 model year, the dog bone style becomes more prevalent on LOS cars.

-Jon
Jon Mello
CRG

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 09:10:49 AM »
I'm not sure what you are meaning by NOS ones. Do you mean are they originals and not service parts? Most likely they are originals. As production moved closer to the end of the '67 model year, the dog bone style becomes more prevalent on LOS cars.

-Jon

My inquiry was unclear. I was referring to a new pair I have in the boxes, GM part # on the shaft, that are straight, not dogbones. Leftover from an '84 build. Just as in the top part in the above attached pic.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 01:56:50 AM »
Thanks, Jon!   So I'm now assuming that my early LOS car is correct with one of each.   Brings me to another question now,  was one more prevalent on one side or other?   OR, doesn't really matter.   I really didn't notice any difference when I took them off, just when I got them back and laid them side by side.  Thanks again for all your help!
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 03:18:40 AM »
So is it correct to assume that I indeed have NOS ones and not service parts?
NOS and service parts are pretty much the same thing, at least as the terms are used today.
Straight ones would not be original for most 1st gens.
Kurt S
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 04:20:41 AM »
Yes, one style on one side and another style for the other side is seen on many original LOS-built '67s. Keep an eye out for this when you have an opportunity to view other '67s. It sounds goofy but it is just another example of a production anomaly (of which there were many on first-gen Camaros). I don't think it matters which side has the straight one but I'm thinking I usually have seen them on the passenger side.

-Jon
Jon Mello
CRG

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 04:08:21 PM »
There were also two different configurations of upper control arm shafts on '63-'67 Corvettes (one roundish, one squareish), and it's not unusual to see a known-original car with one type on one side and the other type on the other side. Chevrolet upper (and lower) control arms were made/assembled at Chevrolet-Warren, and they obviously sourced the upper control arm shafts from more than one supplier. Corvette lower control arms also have a mounting shaft, and we see two types of those too.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG