Author Topic: Fuel and temp gauge not working in console  (Read 6542 times)

1969SS350

• View Profile
Fuel and temp gauge not working in console
« on: July 18, 2009, 12:15:34 AM »

Hello-
My oil and gen gauges work but temp and fuel dont.
when i ordered the wiring harness it was for low fuel warning and I dont have it-do I need it?
also noticed the fuel gauge has 3 pegs 2 for the wiring harness and another one Im assuming should be ground-can someone clarify?

thanks in advance

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: Fuel and temp gauge not working in console
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 02:44:00 AM »
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115923&highlight=temp+guage

This was one of my many posts with a similar problem.  My temp guage doesn't work and needs to be fixed but it is wired correctly.  These will show you what it looks like wired correctly and then you have to know if you have original guages or the repros as each have different needs for resistors, which go on the back of the original guages and are built in to some repros.  I can't tell you about the low fuel warning because I have it.
68Z28

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 03:45:02 AM »
Attached pics are the repo gages that I put in my '69 back in 1994.  Just had them out a couple of weekends ago to change the resistor on the back of the temp gage - which is when I took these pictures. 

Looking at the cluster from the bottom, the fuel gage has two connections (bottom right in the first picture).

Temp gage (top left in the 1st picture) also has two connectors. but the bottom lug (cal resistor) of the temp gage needs to be connected to ground.  That is the separate gray wire that is in the first picture.  That gray wire and a ground lead from the wiring harness is connected to the hole in the mounting plate.  This is the main ground for the cluster.

The second picture is looking down on the gages from the top.  I've put this in to show how I grounded the front mounting plate (for the fuel and oil pressure gages) to the rear mounting plate where the main ground is connected.  That is the 18 ga white wire that you see connecting between the front and rrear mounting plates.

The repro wiring harness that I ordered also had the low fuel warning lead - I did not use it.  You do not have to connect it to have the gages functional.

Both the fuel and temp gages (original style) have external calibration resistors that have to be working properly.  I believe the new OER repo gages now have these resistors built internal.  You also have to be sure that the lugs on the back of the gages are properly iisolated.

Previous related postst: 

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=5425.0

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=3207.0

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=577.0
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 04:01:26 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 01:20:24 PM »
If both of your guages are not working its most likely that you don't have the console cluster grounded.  Make sure there is a black wire running from one of the metal back panels to a ground point on the floor under the console and another connecting both metal back panels together.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 04:17:46 PM »
If both of your guages are not working its most likely that you don't have the console cluster grounded. 

Do your instrument cluster lights work?  If as Mark suspects the cluster is not properly grounded, the cluster lights won't work either.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

anything