Author Topic: side mirrors  (Read 17534 times)

Oaklyss

• View Profile
side mirrors
« on: October 19, 2005, 02:20:57 AM »
Has anyone found a way to keep outer door mirrors from moving? I have to adjust mine alot. It will move just from the wind. Thanks.
69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
1972 AMX 401 4 speed, cowl induction, twin-grip, A/C, unrestored, original paint
1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire factory Turbo and Methanol injection, 4 speed, posi, 1 of 4 known to exist

69 4 Speed

• View Profile
Re: side mirrors
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 04:42:57 AM »
Behind the glass, there are 2 phillips screws that you use can use to increase the preasure on the pivot ball.  Problem is getting the glass out without breaking it.   I almost had the glass out of mine when it broke in 2 pieces.   Cost me $20 to have a piece of smoked mirror cut to size but it doesn't flop around any more.   Don't know of a trick to fix any other way.  Maybe someone out there has a quick fix.      J.R.

mikeyparts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 12:52:37 PM »
I JUST PU A LITTLE CLEAR SILICONE IN THE BALL SOCKET AND ADJUSTED THE MIRROR BEFORE IT DRIED
WIPE OFF EXCESS

69 4 Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 04:43:31 AM »
Mikey.,..wish that i'd known that before I spent $20 for a new glass.  If the driver side ever goes south, I'll give it a try.

J.R.

roper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 09:03:55 PM »
I have been trying to figure out a way to do that for the last five years, I am on my way outside right now to do the silicone thing hope it works. I was thinking along the lines of clear fingernail polish but couldnt get the nerve to do it. thanks for a great idea! roper

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 04:33:48 PM »
Blue Loctite on the ball also works.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

roper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 01:17:52 PM »
hey guys, just tried the clear silicone on the side mirrors, wont stand up to the car wash. I will try the blue loctite and see how that works. actually the silicone made it worse than before,after it got wet it was very loose! If the loctite wont work I may try to take a small punch and scuff up the ball a little to give it some friction. I will let you know how this works out.

69 4 Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 02:37:16 AM »
I've scuffed up a lot of things with vice grips....but not always intentionally.    ;)  J.R.

roper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 12:45:57 PM »
the small puch did the trick, stays put at high speeds, just lay them on a wooden bench and have someone hold them while you use the punch and go all around the ball of the mirror,Roper

Oaklyss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 04:27:06 PM »
I used a combination of the replies posted here. I first scuffed up the swivel ball ( only where it wont show when adjusted) using my electric engraver tool, then put on blue locktite.
So far it seems to work fine, have not tested at 100mph yet. I will let you know. Thanks everyone!
69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
1972 AMX 401 4 speed, cowl induction, twin-grip, A/C, unrestored, original paint
1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire factory Turbo and Methanol injection, 4 speed, posi, 1 of 4 known to exist

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 02:03:04 AM »
Has scuffing up the ball --without using locktite-- continued to work? ???
I tried the silicone and it gave way eventually even without the car wash. ::)
My concern is using the locktite and then later needing to adjust the mirror.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 02:04:53 AM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

roper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 09:00:23 PM »
yeah the punch did the trick! It has been up to 100mph and did not budge. sorry it took so long to reply. I havent been on line for quite some time. my car is a convertible with the original top so as you may have guessed the back window has tarnished to the point that you can not use it so I depend soley on the side mirrorrs. Its pretty nice now that they stay put when someone closes the door and I dont have to readjust the mirror.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 09:04:21 PM by roper »