Author Topic: headers or manifolds on my 69 Z28?????  (Read 8950 times)

svtrich

• View Profile
headers or manifolds on my 69 Z28?????
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:32:44 PM »
The new engine should be done in the next couple of weeks and Im wondering if I should put the stock exhaust manifolds back on or a set of headers? :-\ 
                             thanks Richard

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
Re: headers or manifolds on my 69 Z28?????
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:13:09 PM »
Depends on what you will enjoy the most. I use headers and love the sound, and performance improvements. However I really like stock camaros and would like to return mine back to stock at this point. (That is when I can find the correct Heat Stove).

Then of course it is not always a matter of just putting headers on. Once they are in, you may find heat issues with your solenoid and need a heat shield. If that doesn't work a mini-starter may be needed. Your carb setup may need to be shielded as well to avoid vapor lock. That happened to my setup when it was fully warmed up on a summer day. About 10 minutes after shutting down it got too hot to restart and I had to wait 30 minutes more to get it to turn over. Until I made these additional changes.

Do what you think you will enjoy the most. The performance is nice but the stock setup is aways impressive and may mean less headaches.
68 07D SS350
John

svtrich

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 11:27:23 PM »
thanks John.maybe JohnZ  or Jery will give ther opinion also.I had headers on the car when I bought it.It sure sounded cool but,Im thinking 14 years latter.maybe stock manifolds might be the the way to go.
                            Richard

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 11:37:34 PM »
I've got them on my Z for now because they were on it.  I am in the process of trying to find manifolds and eventually will put everything back to stock.  No more sparkplug hassles, leaky gaskets and alternator bracket B.S.
68Z28

aaronz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 01:05:14 AM »
well, I go back and forth almost 2 times per year.... i love the stock look and knowing that my car is 100 percent stock...
but I also absolutely love to drive the car as it was intended....which means 3000-7000 rpm....  not exactly the sweet spot for a set of manifolds.

the manifolds will simply not perform like a set of headers (with good exhaust system)  but if you want it 100% stock... then you have to give up a modest amount of top end...

had I thought this through... i would have bought a 68 Z..... that way I could "claim" that the headers were ordered with the car... and have the best of both worlds..

LOL

A

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 01:17:59 AM »
Funny, I forgot about the alternator and AC bracket issues I ran into. I have had the car for 16 years now as well and at first the headers were great but now I appreciate a stock setup more. I actually can't wait to switch back to manifolds and the correct air cleaner etc.. Just a couple of more parts and I will have the entire system to return to stock. I've definitely changed my thoughts onthis over the years. Just another reason to hold onto all the parts you take off.
68 07D SS350
John

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 07:32:33 PM »
thanks John.maybe JohnZ  or Jery will give ther opinion also.I had headers on the car when I bought it.It sure sounded cool but,Im thinking 14 years latter.maybe stock manifolds might be the the way to go.
                            Richard

Headers introduce a whole new set of issues I'm not willing to deal with any more - I've used all manner of headers on various project cars over the years where I WAS willing to deal with the heat, noise, leaks, broken welds, poor fits, gasket/collector issues etc., but I'm more concerned these days with originality and reliability, so it's manifolds for me. :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 08:40:39 PM »
I have not had to touch a bolt on my stock manifolds in 18K miles now and no leaks. Sure I could probably add HP with headers but I prefer to start and drive. Time is a precious thing for me now.

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 01:10:23 AM »
I have a pair of '69 Zs, one with headers (and some other mods) and one completely stock. I show the stock one and drive the modified one. I love my headers. I haven't had a single problem with them.

If you go with headers,  you will have to develop a work arond for the clutch return spring as the headers will interfere with the standard spring.
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

olympic69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 05:35:16 AM »
I started with the headers on the rebuilt engine, and also had JM re-curve the distributor and rework the Carb. Also did a bowl blend on the heads- car runs real well with 4.10 gears- so for now the headers stay, but the original look is nice. Main reason I did it was these are high end/ good quality Hookers, which I had- and I wanted a good taste of the cars potential with the headers.
Rob
Olympic Gold X33

"Its all crazy..."

dkpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 12:11:50 PM »
Olympic69,

Which Hookers do you have, trying to make a decision for mine.

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 01:10:43 PM »
I have the Hooker Comps and the clutch spring wire rod sneeks between the tubes with no mods.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 01:21:24 PM »
Stahl step headers are the best for performance.  You almost need two cars, one restored and one day two car.  Headers do make a big improvement in performance and rpm.

Jerry