Author Topic: 1967 Front bumper guard layout  (Read 4651 times)

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
1967 Front bumper guard layout
« on: March 27, 2006, 12:18:02 AM »
Looking at the assembly manual, option V32 (rear bumper guard) gives what seems to be a good layout.  But option V31 (front guard) only gives one dimension, 3.50 down from opening in valance.  It does not give a dimension over from centerline of valance panel.  I'm guessing that these holes are not pre-drilled, so these dimensions would be required to do an accurate resto.  I am actually a long(long, long) :-\ way from needing this info, but I noticed the seeming shortcoming in the manual, so I thought I would get the question out there.  Thanks       Or are the holes indeed predrilled?

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: 1967 Front bumper guard layout
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 03:37:54 PM »
I don't believe there was an actual "standard" since I've seen too many original cars with varying locations of front bumper guards! (Minor, but different... Usually no more than an inch or two off.)

Since the line workers had to drill the holes manually, they probably just eyeballed it. But, to answer your question on location, my car (a 68 RS/SS) has it's front bumper bolts mounted 10" from the centerline of the car outward. In other words, measure 10" out from the centerline of the front valence and drill the hole.

I also believe 67's are the same as 68's, but if I'm wrong, someone will correct me...

Ed

deejaygee

• View Profile
Re: 1967 Front bumper guard layout
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 04:26:48 PM »
If you can get your hands on an NOS set of bumper guards for the front of your 67, it comes with a handy dandy template to help you line up your holes for drilling. When I did mine, I ended up "calling a friend" to provide dimensions off an original car.

anything