Author Topic: Voltage regulator not working properly?  (Read 66192 times)

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
Voltage regulator not working properly?
« on: March 26, 2006, 02:49:53 AM »
The connector to my voltage regulator wasn't completly snapped in, and it came off while driving down a bumpy road.  The battery died and upon inspection I found the connector to the regulator had come free so I reinstalled it firmly and got a jump.

The regulator and alternator worked properly and started re-charging the battery, but when I went to drive the car again I noticed that characteristic "whining" sound that comes from the regulator being in the "charging" position.  The battery is fully charged but the system won't stop over-charging it. 

It's a rebuilt alternator and new voltage regulator.  I've attached a picture of the voltage regulator.  There doesn't appear to be any adjustments.

Any ideas what's up?  ???

Thanks -

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: Voltage regulator not working properly?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 03:40:32 AM »
Don:

I can't help you with the problem that you are having with your original style, mechanical voltage regulator.

However, I do have an upgrade suggestion that I think would be "money in the bank".  There are replacement "solid state" regulators that are physically the same size and footprint of the original.  The only difference is that the cover doesn't say "Delco-Remy" like the original one does.

Most starter/alternator/auto electric repair shops carry (or can order) this solid state replacement regulator.  As I recall, price is in the $25-$40 range.

Going to the local Chevy dealership won't help.  Although you can still get a GM replacement voltage regulator, it is the mechanical (original style).  GM doesn't offer a solid state alternative.  Although I am very much into "originality" when it comes to maintaining and restoring our classic Camaro rides, this is one area where you can perform an upgrade that definitely makes sense and it will be transparent (with one very small exception) to anyone who is looking.

If you decide to use one of these solid state voltage regulators, in order to keep the appearance "original" you will have to replace the cover with an original Delco-Remy cover from an original regulator.  (The original cover has the words "Delco-Remy" stamped in it.)

The cover on the solid state regulators that I have seen are all held on by screws.  The cover on orginal regulators was riveted in place.  No big deal, drill out the rivets and the cover comes off.  Install the Delco-Remy cover on the solid state regulator base, bolt it in place, hook up the connector and you are done - no adjustments - nothing to adjust.  The one small difference in appearance is that the Delco-Remy cover will be bolted in place instead of riveted.  To me a small concession for this reliability upgrade. 

Both my 69 RS and my 66 Chevelle have solid state voltage regulators with original Delco-Remy covers and I haven't had any problems.  5+ years on the Chevelle, 1 year on the RS.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 05:40:16 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 11:26:19 PM »
Thanks for the tip.

Are these solid state regs made of diodes?  I bought another regulator today and it said it was a solid state regulator - after opening the cover I found the same magnet/coil setup that I had in my previous reg.

Typically solid state means diodes.  Thanks for clarification.

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 11:27:31 PM »
...by the way - what should the top end be of the voltage at the battery when the car is rev'd to higher RPMs?

Thanks -

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 03:26:36 PM »
Don,

I got one from Auto Zone for 12 bucks. Works like a charm so far (2 years). You can tell the difference between the solid state regulators because they're not as tall as the coil ones. Mine's about 2" tall.

Voltage should never get above 14.7 volts according to the Service Manual. Typically, you should see anywhere from 13.5 to 14.5 volts at the high RPM's. If you get above 15 volts, you start boiling the water out of the battery and believe me, over time it makes a real mess and causes lots of rust problems!! (Don't ask...)

:o

Ed

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 06:05:33 PM »
Thanks Ed and Rich. 

I'm going to get a new regulator, specifically ask for solid state.  If this doesn't do the trick I'm going to pull the alternator and bring it to get tested.

I will post back with my results.  So far this forum has been my only source of assistance.  I've looked all over the internet and haven't gotten as far as I have here with just a couple posts.

Thanks again.  I really appreciate the help.

Don

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 07:20:50 PM »
Don,

Okay, I found the part number you want to get. It's a WELLS P/N VR715 and you can get it from AUTOZONE for 14.99 plus tax.

Ed

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 02:24:32 AM »
Thanks Ed!

I went to Autozone tonight with my alternator and it tested bad.  I'm bringing it back to the place I got it to see if I can get anything back for it - just bought it a month ago at most.  I also ordered the solid state reg like you suggested.  Wish me luck on the alternator!

Don

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 05:37:59 AM »
Been on the road for a couple of days and just now getting a chance to catch up with the lataest posts.

The solid state regulator has one small circuit board inside with a few resistors, diodes, etc. - and that is it.  No moving parts - nothing to adjust.  When you pick it up and hold it in your hand, you can immediately tell that you are holding the electronic version because it isn't nearly as heavy as the original mechanical style. 

Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 05:43:24 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 05:51:48 PM »
I am looking at using the VR715 voltage regulator as well for reliability.  Does anyone know if the 'guts' of the solid state unit can be swapped onto the base of an original Delco unit?  I hate to get rid of my NOS regulator that has the correct date code & part number stamped on the base.  The NOS unit has small adjustment knobs on it, but I have never had good luck adjusting them in the past.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 08:32:26 PM »
Here's what Rich wrote below:

...I am very much into "originality" when it comes to maintaining and restoring our classic Camaro rides, this is one area where you can perform an upgrade that definitely makes sense and it will be transparent (with one very small exception) to anyone who is looking.

If you decide to use one of these solid state voltage regulators, in order to keep the appearance "original" you will have to replace the cover with an original Delco-Remy cover from an original regulator.  (The original cover has the words "Delco-Remy" stamped in it.)

The cover on the solid state regulators that I have seen are all held on by screws.  The cover on orginal regulators was riveted in place.  No big deal, drill out the rivets and the cover comes off.  Install the Delco-Remy cover on the solid state regulator base, bolt it in place, hook up the connector and you are done - no adjustments - nothing to adjust.  The one small difference in appearance is that the Delco-Remy cover will be bolted in place instead of riveted.  To me a small concession for this reliability upgrade.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 08:55:58 PM »
Don,

That being said, it still won't get you the bottom half of the regulator, where the P/N and date code is stamped. I think Jeff is looking to keep that part as well, and I just can't say if transferring the internals from the original AC Delco to the VR715 is possible. I would assume you could do it but since I've never tired the transfer, I can't say for sure. Jeff, give it a shot on an old used regulator (not you "correct" date coded one), and let us know how it works out. If I had an old Delco regulator, I'd try it, but I tossed all mine out years ago (like a fool)!

Ed

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 09:17:44 PM »
Exactly - I'm trying to keep the bottom half of the regulator that has the part # and date code.  I actually still have the original regulator that came on my car from the factory, so I will pick up a VR715 and see if I can make it work with the original base.  If I can, I will just have my original base re-plated after the necessary modifications.  I love these fun little projects......
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 09:26:22 PM »
Jeff,

Good luck and by all means, please keep us informed.

Ed

DonSTP

• 68-RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 01:20:32 AM »
Guys - good news!

I had my alternator retested at another AutoZone and it tested fine.  I was a little suspicious at the first AutoZone since two other new alternators failed along with mine.  So, I purchased the solid state (VR715) reg and installed it tonight and VOILA!  Works like a champ! 

This is thing is spot on as well - no variation in the voltage even at higher RPMs. 

Great tip - thanks again!

Now on to the temp sensor...   ;)