Author Topic: Help with 302 MO block repair  (Read 6220 times)

jims68z

• View Profile
Help with 302 MO block repair
« on: July 13, 2009, 06:08:52 PM »
I have a 68 z28 and am working on the restoration now.  The original 302 is long gone but I recently purchased a correct MO block.  This has another vin number on it so it is not the actual block that came in my car.  The machine shop told me that they found hairline cracks across the deck from being overheated somewhere down the road.  They can fix it by welding it but they would have to deck the block to complete the repair.  If the block is decked, there would be no way to prove it was a correct MO block and therefore be no different than a 1968 327 or 350.  I have been told restamping would be an option but several viewers told me that was a bad idea.  What are your suggestions?

qwertyme77

• View Profile
Re: Help with 302 MO block repair
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 07:34:50 PM »
i don't know that it would retain its value, but could you stamp something into the block in an adjacent area that would not be removed by machining? you could then take photos of the original stamp and your own id stamp IN THE SAME PHOTO. after decking, the original stamp would be gone, but your stamp would remain. by showing the "before" photo you could prove that it was an actual MO block.
just my uneducated .02
paul.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 08:11:20 PM »
Get a different block. This one you have is not original to your car so there isn't any sensible reason to take expensive drastic measures to save it. Nobody really cares unless it is the block it was born with.

-Mark.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 08:15:10 PM »
Take pictures before you do anything. 

Ask if they can deck the block but leave the stamped pad intact.  They might be able to "stop" the decking process before removing the numbers. 
If they don't already know let them know it is a rare block.  They might be willing to work with you.

Or at least deck it the LEAST amount possible to leave a weak stamp.  But if that does not work and it's gone, you are out of luck.

I would strongly recommed that you DO NOT RESTAMP IT. 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:01:32 PM »
Get the partial vin off the block you have. If the block needs major repairs it may not be worth much to you, but to the person who owns the original car it may the the proof they need to document thier Z. I would also contact Jerry to see if he has or knows a way to save the stamp if you decide to go ahead and do the repairs.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:15:51 PM »
I know it's your block, but you should see if that's someone's original one first.  Then if it is you could let them worry about that and get another.  There are a fair amount of them around.  People seem to spend a lot of time getting the right date block, but to me it's either the original block or it isn't.  The date would mean absolutely nothing to me personally.  If it was a 68 MO block and not the born with one, to me they would all be the same.  If you want to fix the one you have I would talk to Jerry.
68Z28

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 12:44:27 AM »
The deck stamp isn't the issue - any machine shop with a 3-axis mill can deck a block and stop short of the numbers, although most only have 2-axis deck mills. The issue is cracks in the deck - the block is scrap.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

acelr8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 01:52:26 AM »
Still would be important to know the VIN.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 02:40:27 AM »
If there is a will, there is a way.  I think the block can be repaired.  I know a place in Iowa that can probably fix it.  They fix 427 blocks
once in a while.

But yes, I guess it would be important to see if the original owner is looking for the block and that would be documentation for them.

It is important to know the VIN. 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

anything