Author Topic: what if  (Read 7660 times)

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
what if
« on: July 06, 2009, 05:50:25 AM »
 If you ran accross a 69 307 turbo 350 car that appeared to be all stock, but needs restored would you leave it that way? I like original cars but I usually stick to cars that have a more performance drive train in them. Is it worth restoring a 307/350 car back to stock?

Big_Al

• '69 L65 RS X11 Z87 Z21 713 40B DX1
    • View Profile
Re: what if
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:18:56 PM »
IMHO yes. Keep it stock!

Al
'67 RS 327 convertible, '69 RS 350 coupe, '73 Type LT 350 coupe split bumper.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:33:56 PM »
Restoring that car is a labor of love not a sound financial investment. You do it because you want to spend your money on it as a hobby. It will cost you more than it will sell for.

-Mark.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 12:55:58 PM »
Are you interested in money, or satisfaction? The answer depends on that. There seems to be very little demand for a correct 307 restoration. The cost to restore would not be significantly cheaper than an SS. I doubt the resale value would come close, all other options being equal. If you you want to preserve it there may be personal satisfaction from the restoration. Either way, I have become a fan of a digital camera, and documenting the way it was (right or wrong) as you go through the process.
My Camaro is a 307 powerglide that almost went to the scrap yard. It's not a highly sought after car, but it is mine. I am not keeping it stock, however I am keeping what is left of the stock parts, so that it could be easily returned to at least the way I got it if desired. The most significant changes are the TPI fuel injection form an 87 Trans Am, and I will be replacing the trans with something newer.  Mine is not for sale, but I can not justify an expensive restoration either. When it does get back on the road, it may become my daily driver, so that also affects what gets done with it.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 02:49:25 PM »
What ever you decide, I recommend you not discard the orginal motor. Keep it with the car no mater what your decision is on restoring it or hotrodding it out.
68 07D SS350
John

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 04:03:28 PM »
I can only answer for myself.  If it was me I would keep it stock.  I have always been a fan of original, survivor or restored, and keeping a car stock. 

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 04:24:52 PM »
To add to what I was saying... I would keep it stock.
68 07D SS350
John

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 06:00:59 PM »
  I love stock cars and at present I have a 67 RS, 70 RS/SS 396 and a 71 SS350 and they are as stock as I can get them (still hunting down some correct pieces for them). I love going to a car show and seeing a first gen Camaro that is the way it came from the factory, and most showes I go too you will see a dozen first gen cars and if your lucky maybe one that has not be hot rodded or the color changes. It seems they all have cowl hoods and spoilers; I however have always wanted a 69 with the ZL2 hood and front and rear spoilers. This car is a great color Hugger Orange with black vynal top and interoir, style trim exterior (Z21) and the RPO Z23 in the interior. I know I would never get my money out of it nor any of my cars for that matter. I'm just torn beteewn leaving it all stock or adding the spoilers, hood and maybe D90 or Z stripes and looking like 95% of the other 69's.                                                                                                                                                            Thanks for everyones    opinion                                                                                                                                                         P.S. as soon as I car the car home I will get a photo of the trim tag and VIN and other data for the regerstery.

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 04:00:15 AM »
We frame-offed a 307 car 1.5-2 years ago.  Back to factory specs aside from a PDB conversion that was done prior (would prefer an OE setup) and a set of Cragars (owner's preference).  Flat hood, no stripes, no spoilers.

From a strictly financial stanpoint, and whether or not you'll get your money back out of it when it comes time to sell, might not be the best choice.  That wasn't the issue with the one we did, it carries heavy sentimental value.

But I dig the car.  One, Azure is beautiful.  Secondly, it's very unique.

"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 07:01:19 AM »
RamAir that is a gourgous 69! I was thinking today that I could paint both the cowl hood and the stock hood and also do a second deck lid with the spoiler and switch them from time to time.

69 4 Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 01:43:57 AM »
Nice looking car, Dave.   I've still got the original 250hp/350 in mine and it will probably stay that way. 
After owning it for 21 years, no sense in changing now.    I did put a GM cowl hood on it and a spoiler early on but I now regret the spoiler.     Jim

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 11:36:42 AM »
We frame-offed a 307 car 1.5-2 years ago.  Back to factory specs aside from a PDB conversion that was done prior (would prefer an OE setup) and a set of Cragars (owner's preference).  Flat hood, no stripes, no spoilers.

From a strictly financial stanpoint, and whether or not you'll get your money back out of it when it comes time to sell, might not be the best choice.  That wasn't the issue with the one we did, it carries heavy sentimental value.

But I dig the car.  One, Azure is beautiful.  Secondly, it's very unique.

Did I see that car at Toad Suck Daze? I swear I  have seen it before. The brake booster and 307 was the tip off for me. You don't see restored 307's too often. The car looks even better in person than it does here and it looks great here. I don't remember the Cragars but they may have been on there.

Great Job - Pretty car. :)

-Mark.

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 03:41:32 AM »
Appreciate the compliments.

Yeah, it was at Toad Suck last year.  Cragars have always been on it.  We painted up the original rallys with the intent of putting some bias-plys on them for occasional use at a show, but being an original drum brake car they don't fit.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

anything