Author Topic: Starting Camaro For First Time  (Read 4754 times)

T69SS

• View Profile
Starting Camaro For First Time
« on: July 03, 2009, 02:09:54 AM »
Hey everyone i am new here and just wanted to say hi. I do have a question, hopefully this sunday i am going to pick my 69 Camaro up from another state. I plan on trailering it home due to a 100 mile journey. My concern is that the car hasnt been started in awhile and i was wondering what i might need/want to bring in order to start her up to drive onto the trailer... Possibly fresh gasoline? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
1969 SS

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Starting Camaro For First Time
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 02:31:30 AM »
Welcome aboard. What do you mean by "a while"? Months? Years?

cancam69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 01:35:58 PM »
Hey everyone i am new here and just wanted to say hi. I do have a question, hopefully this sunday i am going to pick my 69 Camaro up from another state. I plan on trailering it home due to a 100 mile journey. My concern is that the car hasnt been started in awhile and i was wondering what i might need/want to bring in order to start her up to drive onto the trailer... Possibly fresh gasoline? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am going through this process right now.....my 69 has been in storage for 8 Years......my reccomendation is to push it on the trailer if possible and do the re-start process right.....pull all the plugs out and spray a good lubricant in the cylinders (many will suggest various products) I used WD-40 and let it sit overnight....go back next day and crank the motor by hand (5/8" socket on the crank pulley) see how that goes....if it turns freely....you are almost there....next, go buy a primeing tool......this goes where your distributer is mounted so it must be removed (I would drain all the old oill and let drain overnight ...do this when you spray the cylinders)....put in fresh oil and use the prime tool....it is operated by an electric drill.......this will get oil to the main bearings and prevent a dry start and major damage and of course drain all the gas and clean/ re-build carb and add fresh gas....this of course depends on how long it has been stored....good luck and do it right!!

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 02:04:26 PM »
I agree with everything cancam69 says. Itis definitely best to prime the motor if it has been sitting.

Don't forget to check the Radiator level before driving it.

To add to that... If it has the original motor (or any motor with a flat tappet cam) I highlly recommend you add a break-in additive that contains ZDDP when you change the oil. I use Redline- Engine Break-in additve all the time. This may open a discussion as to what you should or shouldn't do. I will just say that the advent of environmental protection has lead to the removal of metallics in engine oils that are no longer needed for roller cam applications. The ZDDP will add a thin film over high pressure areas and prevent wear on your older style cam and lifters. Only the outer area of your cam is hardened so do what you can to prevent wear.
68 07D SS350
John

T69SS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 03:45:44 PM »
Thanks for all the help everybody, i appreciate the great advice! I definately want to do it right... now i just need to figure out how to push it on the trailer lol....

Edit: the last time it was started was about 8 months ago... im not sure if that changes cancam69's advice but im thinking i will do it that way anyway to be safe.
1969 SS

cancam69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 04:16:43 PM »
Thanks for all the help everybody, i appreciate the great advice! I definately want to do it right... now i just need to figure out how to push it on the trailer lol....

Edit: the last time it was started was about 8 months ago... im not sure if that changes cancam69's advice but im thinking i will do it that way anyway to be safe.

8mos. is not that long.....make sure the gas was stabalized(bring a fresh jerry can full Gas...highest octane you can get)......when you get there.....just crank the engine over (no gas...you may want to remove the main coil wire)....crank it until you see the oil preassure reach 40psi or so(hopefully it has an oil pressure gauge)....then you can give it fire....no need to push! Good luck and let us know how it goes and of course pics are mandatory,LOL.

T69SS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 05:45:16 PM »
Thanks for the help cancam. She does have an oil pressure guage. She is bone stock and i will certainly make sure to post up some pictures!
1969 SS