Author Topic: Paint Type and Color - Rear Axle, Leaf Springs, Frame  (Read 10878 times)

rockphil

• View Profile
Paint Type and Color - Rear Axle, Leaf Springs, Frame
« on: June 28, 2009, 05:03:16 PM »
What was the type paint and original color of the rear-end, axle, leaf springs, and frame of a 1969 Camaro?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Paint Type and Color - Rear Axle, Leaf Springs, Frame
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 11:12:34 PM »
We do know a few things based on survivor cars and vintage magazine road tests.

Rear axles were painted as an assembly; cover and brake drums in place but no lines. Pinion flange was masked. Paint was a glossy black. Yes the drums were black too.

Leaf springs were not painted. The forging process left them with a mottled black-grey finish.

The sub frame was first dipped in a cleaning solution, then dipped in an asphalt-based coating that dried to a semi-gloss black appearance. I work with a guy that was a line supervisor at the AO Smith frame plant here in town. We had a good laugh over the filler-prime/wet sand/paint process some like to think of as "original". For years I drove past the Smith plant on Capitol Drive every day. Completed frames were stacked outside, covered with snow and ice in the winter. Probably rusty before they arrived at the assembly plant.
Learning more and more about less and less...

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 07:09:22 AM »
If you transported a New from 69 camaro to present and entered it in most original classes, it wouldn't place... that is a travesty!
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 03:52:18 PM »
Tell it....  I was at a national meet for AACA a few years ago, where they put a brand new car just delivered from the factory out front and asked everyone to "judge" it.  At judges school the first thing the instructor asked was "How many points would you count off and why?"  Several persons around the room started calling out point subtractions and why.  Wrong answer...  The correct answer was and is "zero".  The car was factory original....
Survivor cars are very important!  And so is CRG.  I've seen several bright and shiny 327 "Super Sports" win trophies at local shows....  ::)
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

ALnGA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:01:39 AM »
Good evening.  Have two answers I've heard on original leaf spring "color".  One that it was a bare metal color and the multi leaf spring was a darker gray color that was a oil based color.  Have you heard this before?  Am in the process of working on my Z 10.

Thanks
If you transported a New from 69 camaro to present and entered it in most original classes, it wouldn't place... that is a travesty!
[/quote]

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 11:51:10 PM »
You've responded to a 3 year old thread.
68Z28

IZRSSS

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 12:56:01 PM »

I agree but that's only true for the twenty + every weekend, every corner, local car shows. A car like that would take top honors at a Bow Tie, Legends, and Vintage Certification Camaro Nationals car show. Its also the only show I know of where your car only competes against itself. And for hard core purists...one of the few shows that really matters.

X2 on the 3yr old thread. Your best bet would be to start a new one... ;)