Author Topic: 1969 Camaro idle problem  (Read 7910 times)

1969SS350

• View Profile
1969 Camaro idle problem
« on: June 27, 2009, 11:50:25 PM »
Okay now that the brakes are done Im having an issue with the idle-Ive adjusted the idle as far down as it will go -so I thought it was a distributer adjustment-however when i adjusted the dist counter clockwise it advanced the idle-Im told  that if I turn the dist counter clockwise its supposed to retard it? Is the Dist off 180 degrees?

:-[

maroman

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro idle problem
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 01:12:08 AM »
Use a timing light and do it correctly. If your idle is too high you MAY have a vacuum leak.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

1969SS350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 01:33:32 AM »
Is the vaccuum advance on the Dist supposed to be connected to the carb or plugged?

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 02:48:58 PM »
disconnected, unplugged when timing your car...as for being off 180 degrees, probably would not run....

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 03:36:27 PM »
Okay now that the brakes are done Im having an issue with the idle-Ive adjusted the idle as far down as it will go -so I thought it was a distributer adjustment-however when i adjusted the dist counter clockwise it advanced the idle-Im told  that if I turn the dist counter clockwise its supposed to retard it? Is the Dist off 180 degrees?

:-[

First, set the dwell - it affects timing, so you do that first.

Then, disconnect the vacuum advance hose and plug it, and set the initial timing (with a timing light).

Then, connect the vacuum advance hose, adjust the idle speed with the speed screw on the linkage, and adjust the idle mixture screws (with a vacuum gauge) for highest steady vacuum reading.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

1969SS350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 07:49:26 PM »
OK Im new to this, My 350 has an HEI is there a dwell to adjust?
I dont have a vacuum advance hose to disconnect-Im told I dont need one?

also when i shut the car off it keeps wanting to run and then sputters to a stop-This is the dist right?

Thank you ???

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 02:02:20 PM »
OK Im new to this, My 350 has an HEI is there a dwell to adjust?
I dont have a vacuum advance hose to disconnect-Im told I dont need one?

also when i shut the car off it keeps wanting to run and then sputters to a stop-This is the dist right?

Thank you ???

1. With HEI, there are no points, so there's no dwell to set.

2. Your distributor should have a vacuum advance unit on it - if not, it's been replaced by someone who doesn't understand ignition systems.

3. What you're seeing is "dieseling" - your throttle blades are too far open at idle, so it's still getting air and fuel when you shut it off. Close down the idle speed screw so the idle mixture screws control your idle, and adjust them properly with a vacuum gauge.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything