Author Topic: 68 bumper bracket  (Read 8197 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
68 bumper bracket
« on: June 22, 2009, 06:30:48 AM »
As in my other post, I am having difficulty finding an AMK # for the bolts, washers and nuts that hold on the bracket under the front bumper.  This goes inside the front bumper at the bottom and has a rubber pad on it.  It attches to the bumper with two bolts, washers and nuts but the AIM part # doesn't show up in AMK.  Bolt is 9417950, washer is 103320 and the nut is 9417954.  Does anyone know what these sizes were originally and what the finish was or an AMK # for these? Also what was the finish for the screws that hold the front license bracket on that go into the nylon nuts?  Zinc or Phosphate?  Thanks.
68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: 68 bumper bracket
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 04:46:18 PM »
Anyone have an untouched car they could look at?
68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 04:12:13 PM »
?
68Z28

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 03:48:21 AM »
Also what was the finish for the screws that hold the front license bracket on that go into the nylon nuts?  Zinc or Phosphate?  Clear Zinc

I'll look at the other bolts tomorrow.
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 05:31:56 PM »
Clear Zinc

I'll look at the other bolts tomorrow.

Thank-you.  I don't know if you saw my other post, but I'm trying to figure out size, type, finish and headmark of the screws and nuts that hold the lower grill to the bottom valence panel too.  There is nothing about this anywhere and AMK doesn't have these part #'s.  It would seem real interesting to me for people who restore these cars to have this info somewhere.  If you ever get a chance to look at yours or know someone that has these I would appreciate it.  I'm trying to get my front end correct for a car show.
68Z28

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 03:17:23 AM »
Welcome!  Grill to valence was riveted from factory on my car (SS only)  I know everything you see says RS only but that's way it was on my car and that's the way I put it back so I can't help you on that...but judges didn't seem to have a problem with it...Would swear AMK had a kit with the screws & nuts though.  I believe the upper moulding was just PAL nuts, just like the ones for the heater box.  Sorry but i haven't had a chance to get in the trailer and look yet.  PM me if need to-glad to help if I can, I've been there!
Chris P

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 08:20:04 PM »
Well, the biggest frustration is that I've posted this here and on TC with no one responding but you, which I appreciate, but I was trying to get a "normal practice" of how they were attached.  The AIM shows screws and nuts and AMK doesn't have those part #'s.  Lots of places sell kits that have clips that the screws go into which is the way mine is attached now.  I don't think that's right and all the info I have says the standard grill wasn't riveted.  Being this is Camaro Research Group, I thought there would be some information on this.  Unfortunateley, I was trying to get my car into a big local show and don't think I'll make it now
68Z28

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 09:12:43 PM »
I know your frustration, 68's seem to get the least attention.  As stated, my car had the lower valence riveted.  If you look at the aim 11-13 A6 revisions rivet was removed 11-1-67 (item 5 blank) so that says to me ALL grilles were riveted to that point and just proves (not that I felt it needed any proof) the FACT that mine was riveted. My car is a 12D so some could say it should not be riveted but it also took time for those revisions to go into affect, especially in the LA plant since they were not a GM managed plant and they might have just been using up stock or waiting for the different hardware to arrive.  A lot of people do not pay attention to the revisions and assume these cars were all built one way from start of production to finish or everything was done ONE WAY.  You have to remember these were MASS PRODUCED CARS!!!  I have found a couple of discrepancies with the AIM and the way my car was, and know others have too.  Some were confirmed with the revisions though when I started paying attention to that.  I wouldn't go too crazy over the hardware issues or let them keep you from attending the show.  I have gone NUTS (no pun intended!) to put my car back exactly how it was paying attention to minor, minor details and most of them are never even noticed by the judges-but I don't care because I'm not trying to impress anyone other than myself.  Even if you put everything back exactly how it was I guarantee someone will tell you something was not like that or something is wrong.  Don't sweat it, you just have to decide where you want to go with the car, what level you want to take it to, and who's opinion of "correct" you want to follow.  ;)

Anyway, sorry for the rant, just passing on my experience.  Here’s the photo of the bolt for the bumper bumper bracket.  It's an M in a hexagon with 3 lines, 5/16-18.  Couldn't get a shot of the other side but it's a pointy bolt and just a lock washer and regular nut all black phosphate.

Hope it helps & hope you get to make the show! 

Chris P

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 06:30:11 AM »
Amen to that and thanks for the pic, that will help.   Mine is a late car 05D so I can only guess the revision would have taken place by then.  A while back quite a discussion on 68 grills turned into 5 pages and a consensus about the way they were painted.  I was hoping enough could come of this to get the same kind of discussion where we could say this way for NOR and this way for LOS up to this date etc.  I am trying to get it as it came out of the factory as much as is possible.  People do restore these cars for judging and these people would have seen enough of these cars to make some kind of conclusion, but as you say, I guess the 68 interest is just not there.  I'm going to give Jerry a call.  I hate to have to ask him but oh well.  Maybe eventually this will generate some interest.  Thanks again.

P.S.  If you are still looking for those parts you pm'd me about, I just haven't been able to catch up with the guy who has all those.  I am going to try him again and even see if he has any of these bolts and if I can hook up with him I will ask about the parts you wanted.
68Z28

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 03:29:58 PM »
Yeah, still looking.  I send you a PM.  Thanks!
Chris P

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 05:14:29 PM »
I'm trying to double check, that picture of the bumper bolt, is that a washer under the head or a collar on the bolt?
68Z28

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 11:07:31 PM »
Collar on the bolt.
Chris P

anything