Author Topic: 68 SS air filter assembly finish  (Read 2947 times)

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
68 SS air filter assembly finish
« on: July 09, 2009, 05:13:44 PM »
I am prepping an air filter lower housing assembly for painting and am not sure what finish it should be.

Does anyone know if this should be semi-gloss black?

Also - The filter element that attaches to the side of the assembly base. Should that be white or black? It is offered in two colors depending on where it is purchased.

Thanks for all the help.
68 07D SS350
John

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 68 SS air filter assembly finish
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 09:07:44 PM »
John, the air cleaner assembly should be painted 80% gloss black, and what I mean by that is the gloss level is not the same as the exterior of the car which is 100%. Normally what I use is Duplicolor #T100 Universal Gloss Black spray paint over the top of bare metal just like the factory did, but instead of a smooth metal finish I glass bead it. Some people use primer, I don't as I want it done just like the factory, and if you prefer to use a primer then use a black primer with a final sanding using 800 grit paper before painting it. This paint is a lacquer and will dry to the proper sheen. One thing though, do not paint on a humid day or the paint will "blush" on you. (will have a cloudy look to it)....................As for the filter, black, I have seen white, but black is more prevelant...........RatPack................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
Re: 68 SS air filter assembly finish
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 10:08:53 PM »
Thanks for the direction.
I glass beaded it as well and will try as you said with no primer. Otherwise I'll spray it with flattener mixed to 80% gloss.

Yeah I have seen white for the paper holder on the filter but only a couple of times so was not sure which was correct. Blcak will look better as well.
68 07D SS350
John