Author Topic: 1969 steering column help  (Read 7698 times)

aaronz28

• View Profile
1969 steering column help
« on: June 15, 2009, 07:21:23 PM »
anyone know if the "reverse lockout" arm can be removed (without cutting) on a 1969 Column?
I'm ordering a set of Stahl headers and they say the model I want won't accomodate that arm.,
So either I cut it off, or figure out a way to remove it, or disengage it so that the arm can be pushed down far enough to clear the header, and still be able to turn the key off.

any help would be greatly appreciated...

Aaron

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 steering column help
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:15:59 PM »
Should be able to just remove/unbolt it. the bracket which mounts the bellcrank is bolted to frame rail. The 2 rods - from steering column to bellcrank, and from the trans reverse lever to bellcrank should be removable as well.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:20:24 PM »
The arm on the column is welded to the tube.

aaronz28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 10:17:36 PM »
So my only option is to cut the arm off or use a 67-68 column?

If so, that sucks

Aaron

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 12:44:16 AM »
Aaron, are you running the raised port heads like the ones AFR makes? If so, then you must cut the arm off of the column as there is no way around it when using the Stahl #105 (New design) headers. Can't run a 67-8 column as there is no key provision. If you have stock heads you must use Stahl #106 Original design headers for your car and there are no issues with the column. Myself I would use the Hooker #HOK-2207 headers as there is no issue with using your complete steering column lock out/backdrive linkage. Plus the Hookers are half the price and perform just as well......................RatPack...................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 12:49:59 AM »
Lots of other columns will interchange: 69-74 Nova, 70-77[?] Camaro. Save the original, modify the replacement.
Learning more and more about less and less...

aaronz28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 12:58:41 AM »
HI RatPack,

i'm not using Raised Port heads, and Jere didn't mention any problem using the 105 design with stock heads...in fact he did confirm that they work with the stock heads... I don't know if the column arm is only a problem with the raised port heads or not, but he did confirm that the arm is an issue in my case, so i'm assuming that it doesn't matter which heads I use....

DUH... forgot about the key Provision.  i guess I'll just have to cut it off and get another column if I ever want to put the stock parts back on.

the original 106 only comes now in 1 5/8 and i wanted 1 3/4 so that rules out the original design.

the Hooker SuperComps that you spoke of are 1 7/8, which would be fine for a 406, but the ones I have experience with are 1 3/4 and I know for a fact that they hit the steering linkage underneath the car... i've used those headers before and aside from that issue, they are nice... the other problem with hookers, as i've said before (at least the 1 5/8 and 1 3/4 versions  are that they hang rather low... much lower than the stahl, Dougs, or any other header i've seen.)

the 1 7/8s look nice, but they are way to big i'm guessing for a 302 street car... even if i'm running the 140 cam...

when Speaking with Jere, he claims that his 1 5/8 (model 106) made 25 more HP than the orignal 1 3/4 bill thomas headers from 1967.. he said that the big reason was the fact that Bill used 2.5"radius bends, and his headers use 3"radius bends... i'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, but Jere seems to really know what he is talking about.

if I don't go with Stahls, i'm gonna get the 67 or 68 repop headers...  i just didn't want to pop for that much money... oh well.

Thanks

Aaron

aaronz28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
Lots of other columns will interchange: 69-74 Nova, 70-77[?] Camaro. Save the original, modify the replacement.

oh indeed, that was always the plan... unless i can find a tilt column cheap. LOL

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »
Aaron,
If I am seeing this right, you should not have a problem.

If we are talking about the backdrive linkage that needs to be removed so the headers fit then this is no big deal. The backdrive links unbolt from the column and the frame with 3 bolts and 2 C-Clips. You can hold the column tab up in place (wire?) and deal separately with the backup lights in several possible remedies. I had to do this for the Hooker Super Comps when I ran them.

I have since gone back to cast iron manifolds now and reinstalled the backdrive links. No fuss, no cutting anything.  :) My steering column lock was already disabled by removing the star wheel at the snap ring so maybe that would help?

-Mark.

aaronz28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »
thanks for the reply..

the problem isn't the unboltable linkage... (well that would probably cause issue as well)
but the header tube will actually interfear with the arm that is welded to the column.

what are you referring to when you said "star wheel"...

i believe you are referring to the piece under the steering wheel?  if so, i don't see how this would change anything...

in order to fit the Stahl headers, i'll haev to physically cut that column arm off... or figure out a way to disable it, so that the arm can be pushed down, (out of the way of the header tube)  yet still allowing the key to be turned to the off position.

i wouldn't care if the steering wheel didn't physically lock... so long as i could put the key in the "LOCK" position, and of course remove the key.

as far as the backup lights... i'll just remove the bulbs and be done with it.

Aaron