Author Topic: 69 dash pad  (Read 8397 times)

Big_Al

• '69 L65 RS X11 Z87 Z21 713 40B DX1
    • View Profile
69 dash pad
« on: June 11, 2009, 12:03:29 AM »
Anyone else have a dash pad lifting problem? My '69 is starting to lift at the front edge toward the windshield. It's in perfect shape otherwise.
If it can be glued, what type of adhesive would work best? I'm thinking I should remove it completely and glue every edge, the rest of it can't be far behind, or is this only a problem on the top edge?

Al
'67 RS 327 convertible, '69 RS 350 coupe, '73 Type LT 350 coupe split bumper.

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69 dash pad
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 01:33:46 AM »
Very common problem with original dash pads on any Camaro from 69-78. The type of molding process they used was not a very good one for long term use, say after 6 or 7 years, much less 40. It can be repaired, but it will be a temporary fix at best. I have used an industrial contact adhesive to fix original pads before. You need to heat the affected area enough to make it soft, but not too much to loosen anymore of it from the fiberglass backing that it is molded to. Apply a small amount of contact adhesive in the area that needs to be reattached. Now stretch the vinyl portion over the edge of the fiberglass backing, and clamp it down using some spring clamps and paint paddles to distribute the pressure evenly w/o leaving any high/low spots. (See picture for a spring clamp) Let it set at least 24hrs before trying to reinstall the dash pad so to make sure you have a good bond. There is no guarantee that it will not lift and peel as before once the car gets in the hot sun. I hope this helps...........RatPack.........................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 11:10:28 AM »
I hope you have success. I tried everything and got mine to about 65% of what I was trying to achieve.

I just put it on the car and called it Patina.
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

Big_Al

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 11:42:15 AM »
Thanks guys,
I have a boat load of those clamps and will glue all edges. I'll let you know how it came out.

I did not know it had a fiberglass backing. I noticed in Rick's catalog that the repro pads are fitted to metal, if anyone's tried them, how's the fit? Good color match?

Al

Jrschev

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 11:54:33 AM »
Here is what I did with very good success.  I peeled up the vinyl where it wraps around the fiberglass backing to expose the fiberglass. I then cut off about 1/2" of the fiberglass so that the vinyl will fit over and around the fiberglass easily. The problem is that the vinyl shrinks after all these years. So if you make the fiberglass backing a bit shorter to accomdate the shrunk vinyl you can get it to lay over easier and stay there using the method mentioned above: Clamp the vinyl with good cement and use a piece of pine with many clamps to spread the load. I waited a couple of days before touching it. I'm very happy with the results and I agree with the "patina" of the car too. Mine is not perfect buy only a knowledgeable Camaro person, (which by the way there is no shortage of at the car shows) would find any shortcomings.

1969 Z11 Pace Car (05A) 350/300 L48 4-Speed

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 02:28:13 PM »
The current repros fit okay with a few adjustments with a Dremel tool with a sanding barrel, or even better a deburring bit. They do not fit around the center area of the instrument cluster above the steering column. A little trimming with a Dremel can straighten it right up. Also the sides where they attach to the dash panel you may need to predrill or even redrill each hole and allow for a little extra clearance. Right now that is the only thing out there, and yes they use metal instead of the fiberglass/plastic used originally.

Another thing that makes these dash pads come loose along the edges is the older fiberglass/plastic backing tends to warp causing the vinyl to pull away and then it shrinks. Good luck in whatever route you decide to take..............RatPack............
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

Big_Al

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 09:04:26 PM »
Thanks for all the great tips and well wishes guys. At the prices they're getting for repros, I'll give the glue and trim tricks a try first.

Thanks again,

Al

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 09:58:25 PM »
Here is what I did with very good success.  I peeled up the vinyl where it wraps around the fiberglass backing to expose the fiberglass. I then cut off about 1/2" of the fiberglass so that the vinyl will fit over and around the fiberglass easily. The problem is that the vinyl shrinks after all these years. So if you make the fiberglass backing a bit shorter to accomdate the shrunk vinyl you can get it to lay over easier and stay there using the method mentioned above: Clamp the vinyl with good cement and use a piece of pine with many clamps to spread the load. I waited a couple of days before touching it. I'm very happy with the results and I agree with the "patina" of the car too. Mine is not perfect buy only a knowledgeable Camaro person, (which by the way there is no shortage of at the car shows) would find any shortcomings.

I did the same except took off about 1\4 inch ! Seemed to work fairly well,about 80% of what I wanted! Good luck!
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

Big_Al

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 05:00:52 PM »
Sounds good, glad to hear it worked so well for you and Jrschev.

Can't wait to give it a try. ;D

Thanks,

Al