Author Topic: Possible '68 DANA Camaro  (Read 19471 times)

JoeC

• View Profile
Re: Possible '68 DANA Camaro
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 11:17:51 PM »
What color is this car on the trim tag?
Dana had a house drag car 68 Camaro that was a special order Orange and another found documented Dana 68 Camaro is Orange also.
Doesn't mean a a lot but curious what color your car is.

Also Dana used their emblem on some of the 427 cars so if you have original fenders you can look for extra holes. An NICB report is hard to get but can tell you the original dealer.

I collect old speed parts and have some 60's - 70s rev limiters. The ones I have are cable driven off a tach drive dist. They have a centrifical governer divice inside a box with an adjustable switch. The weights on the governer trip the switch at a set RPM and shuts off power to the coil.
cool old speed part

pic is the 68 Dana drag car

crv1943

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 12:58:26 AM »
I have the Dana drag car in my Dana file. I also have old articles with pictures of the dashes and engines in the Dana cars. My car is Butternut Yellow with a black vinyl top and black deluxe interior and a walnut wheel. I always thought the drag car was butternut yellow also, but without the vinyl top. I have another Y2 SS '68 Camaro convertible that has it's original sheet metal to compare the stock emblem holes to the coupes. Most of the coupes emblems were removed and filled when it was painted Gray enamel in the 80s. I would still like to know if anyone has seen anything like the bracket welded to the spring perch bracket in front of the snubber and what its'purpose was. I am going to try to post the picture on this page. Clint

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 03:11:35 AM »
I am going to go out on a limb here and make a guess - possibly to change the spring angle - it could also be a poor man's lift
Chris
69 SS 350

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 04:42:37 AM »
crv--I scanned the magazine page but don't know how to post the pic here. If you'll send a message to my s/n with your email I'll be glad to send it.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

crv1943

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 05:23:19 AM »
I am going to go out on a limb here and make a guess - possibly to change the spring angle - it could also be a poor man's lift

I think you are on the right track. I looked at another picture from a different angle and it looks like it is a fairly tight fit for the spring and the eye would drop down to the holes in the bracket and reinstall the bolt. An almost instant lift although I've never seen it done on the front spring mount and don't know what the advantage would be other than raising the rear end for tire clearance. Lets work on identifying the "California gauge package" next. I had a guy tell me that GM built a hawaiian theme Camaro with a similar gauge setup as a GM dream car but I haven't found any pictures of it. Clint

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 12:10:53 PM »
Traction Master made a weld on round traction bar that was used in the 60s.
I have a NOS set of these
It is a round bar with a bracket on each end that was welded on.
They were more for road racing and were used on early Shelby Mustangs.

They were not too good for drag racing as they would bend or break the weld under drag use with big tires or slicks.

crv1943

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 02:38:46 PM »
crv--I scanned the magazine page but don't know how to post the pic here. If you'll send a message to my s/n with your email I'll be glad to send it.
    I sent you an email and a pm and my email address is in my profile. Thanks Clint

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 04:19:16 PM »

I think you are on the right track. I looked at another picture from a different angle and it looks like it is a fairly tight fit for the spring and the eye would drop down to the holes in the bracket and reinstall the bolt. An almost instant lift although I've never seen it done on the front spring mount and don't know what the advantage would be other than raising the rear end for tire clearance. Lets work on identifying the "California gauge package" next. I had a guy tell me that GM built a hawaiian theme Camaro with a similar gauge setup as a GM dream car but I haven't found any pictures of it. Clint

Both the "Waikiki Camaro" and "Californian Camaro" were 67 models and neither had a gauge package like your car has. The console in the Waikiki Camaro had a faux teakwood applique on the top plate instead of the standard Camaro pebble grained finish. The center dash trim also had the same applique on it as did the tops of the doors and quarter panels. I need to find my pictures, but I don't think the California Camaro had a console. I don't know of any 68 Camaro show cars that were built like these two, other than maybe the Caribe which as a mix of 67 & 68's. Maybe JohnZ can add to this topic..........................RatPack..........................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............