Author Topic: Engine change..  (Read 3974 times)

danZ

• View Profile
Engine change..
« on: June 15, 2009, 01:32:36 AM »
Does it make any sense to remove a April '69 DZ motor to buy and install a 10/21/69 motor into a '69 10D X77, which appears to be a little too close to the build date? ???

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
Re: Engine change..
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 01:45:10 AM »
There are others that will probably reply with production facts that may be helpful. I have a 1968 Camaro with the original motor. The casting date on the block is December 31st of 1967 but the assembly date on the body is 07D. This is outside the window of what would be considered the norm for judging but it can happen. If there was a problem with the motor that requirered rework it could have been delayed from being installed in a vehicle etc. From what I understand, a typical process would take anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks from casting to being installed.

I would guess that dates of body builds and engines would never be within the same week. So then why swap one good motor with another that is not correct to typical judging standards and chnages the build date from too late which could have happend to too early (Close)which would have been improbable to happen.

Any one else have some advice here?
68 07D SS350
John

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 02:41:25 AM »
Well the build date on the car was when they got the order and it may have not been built for a while after the date on the body.  From what I have read, the engine could have been made within days of the body, but the big thing to me is, if you don't have the original engine, it really doesn't matter what the date is.  It will always be known that it isn't the original engine.
68Z28

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 03:07:36 AM »
My original engine was assembled in late may (25th) with the body date of 06A - The dates can be relatively close
Chris
69 SS 350

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 02:03:09 PM »
Well the build date on the car was when they got the order and it may have not been built for a while after the date on the body. 

Not quite. The body number was assigned when the order was accepted for production, not the cowl tag build date; the body build date on the cowl tag was generated when the tag itself was produced, a day or two prior to the body starting in the Body Shop.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG