Author Topic: 1969 rear suspension  (Read 6649 times)

68Tom

1969 rear suspension
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:14:44 PM »
In the near future, I'm going to start disassembling the subframe on my '69 to take to media blasting.  Before I do so, I had a question about the rear suspension set-up that is currently on the car.  Rather than trying to describe it, I'll just post a few pics and maybe you can tell me what I have (other than rust  :D).  Basically, I'm wondering if this is some sort of aftermarket kit, or that came from the factory.

Thanks,
Tom

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: 1969 rear suspension
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »
Yeah Tom, that's an aftermarket sway bar kit.

Not available from the factory.

Ed

68Tom

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 08:19:08 PM »
Thanks Ed.  That's what I thought.  If anyone has handy a good pic of a correct set-up, that'd be great.   I'll try hunting one down (shouldn't be too hard).

Does the sway bar itself look incorrect?

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:27:30 PM »
There is no stock rear swaybar.  Unbolt it and all the brackets attached to it, put all of it in the far corner of the shop and then you'll be pretty much looking at the correct set-up.  The most sophisticated element to the stock suspension is the staggered shock configuration.

Classic Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 04:08:26 AM »
just for the general info, goto:  http://rides.webshots.com/album/569624095vbUUEB?vhost=rides
the last page and the last five pictures. the pics are of the FACTORY over the counter rear sway bar, specs and part numbers.
No yours ain't it. But................

oh, and if you don't want that one, I'd be glad to use it under my '56 Chevy, it's looks to be an almost bolt up.
opinions are like wallets, some just aren't worth stealin'.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 04:29:54 AM »
Gary, that's a SERVICE item, not FACTORY. NO first generation Camaro came with a rear sway bar from the factory.

Ed

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 04:31:17 AM »
From what I understand, sway bars are of little to no help on leaf spring suspension.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

Classic Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 04:36:47 AM »
yes I know, as i said "over the counter"....................

still made/for sale, by the factory, just as the 2X4 cross ram, and the "in the trunk headers", all available "over the counter", but not assembly line installed.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 04:48:19 AM by Classic Gary »
opinions are like wallets, some just aren't worth stealin'.

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »
From what I understand, sway bars are of little to no help on leaf spring suspension.

Actually Gary according to Bill Thomas they were a big help in the first Gen cars, especially in cars with single leaf springs. It actually would stiffen the rear suspesion up in all directions, but was a big help in up and down movement of the axle. The way most of those aftermarket kits mounted are like the ones in the pictures above. This is the first one I have seen with the springs at the end links, but they still mount to the rear frame rails in a solid fashion, thus limiting the movement of the axle. A rear sway (anti roll) bar on a leaf spring car can actually improve traction over a car without one. My 68 had one of Bill Thomas' bars on it, and man did the car handle like it was on rails! The car also launched differently with that bar on there by allowing the suspension to "lift" when hammered from a dead stop. I removed it in favor of the original traction bars that were never installed by the owner or Bill. He told me not to use the two together as both have different purposes and combined they would cause the car to be unstable in a turn. Right now there is absolutely no suspension travel up and down, or lets put it this way, it may move a 1/2" or so.........

68Tom, personally I would have all of the components sand blasted to see if you can make out the manufacturer as there are usually some stampings in the parts used. Also I would probably install it on the car when doing the restoration as it is a very neat "Day 2" part...........................RatPack...............

Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 02:17:57 PM »
Wayne states in his book (Camaro Untold Secrets - 1967-1969) that the sway bar was developed because "the 67 Camaro had serious suspension and handling problems" (as verified by the Penske team).

He goes on to say:

Most importantly, it must be remembered that the sway bar was developed specifically for use on the '67 model. By the time the sway bar was cataloged and the numbers were listed, the '68 model was in production and had already taken advantage of the staggered shock design which cured the wind-up and handling problems.

I've never had a rear sway bar on any of my first gens, so I'm not sure if the 68 or 69 benifited like the 67 did.

Agreed Gary. Looks like we were trying to say the same thing, only different!!  ;D

Ed